Merry Christmas! Test Results.

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
Da Graphite Kid
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Merry Christmas! Test Results.

Post by Da Graphite Kid »

Wooden Wonder wrote:
I do not have a microscope or even a very good magnifying glass to compare the axles before and after.I did send a sample of micro-mesh to someone o this forum for testing. Maybe he could enlighten us if he has had a chance to use it.
I would be that person... :oops:

Wooden Wonder,
As I had told you before, the equipment I was going to use to get a microscopic picture of the test axles is non-functional. :x I spoke with the individual who is responsible for it and there are no plans at this time to make it operable again. I, in my greatness, :wink: offered to take it home and attempt to restore it to operation - the fee being my unrestricted use of the equipment - but my offer was declined... with a laugh! :(

I also attempted to get a picture with my digital camera but I was not able to get a close enough picture of the axles to show any usable detail. I had planned on taking a picture of an unfinished axle, one finished with Mother's Chrome Polish only and one finished with Mother's followed by the Micro Mesh you sent to me. I only polished the shaft of the axles so that there would be no file or sandpaper marks to work out and so that the comparison would be more even.

As I'm sure you are aware of, the Micro Mesh axle appears to have a better luster than the Mother's only axle. Under a microscope, the difference is quite evident - the Micro Mesh axle having smaller scratches than the Mother's axle. By the way, an unfinished axle is really ugly when viewed under a microscope! :eee:

One thing I noticed was that there were many large (at least at that magnification) :shock: chips in all of the axles. These appear to have been molded in as they were on all axles - even after I over polishing them (I made sure and spent more time than we normally do working in the Mother's and than the Micro Mesh). I'm guessing these are what the molybdenum in the graphite-moly fills in.

I apologize for not being as much help as I had originally promised.
Thanks for all the test results so far! :bigups:

Da Graphite Kid