Name the car

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
GimpyPaw
Pine Head
Pine Head

Name the car

Post by GimpyPaw »

None too confident about how it will do, but I'm sending this thing in for May's WIRL race, pure stock div. The car needs a name, and the most original thing I've come up with is "little red and silver thing", which isn't very original. Any good idea's?

specs:

weight: 4.97oz

point of ballance: 1/2" forward of rear axle

com: aprox 60% below axle plane

materials: laminated pine and lead

paint: Dupli-color GM Silver Metalic and Autumn Maple Metalic

Wheels: #12 mold, hand turned on wheel jig of my own design

Axles: MaxV's speed axle, nickle plated (not grooved)

Lube: Krytox

Alignment: 3 wheeler, RR, L. Front dominant

Pics:

Open to any suggestions :)
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Name the car

Post by Go Bubba Go »

Any background on your inspiration for the color or design? Sometimes the "story" helps draw out the name.

Otherwise, off the top of my head:

Raspberry Revenge (don't know Revenge about what, but the word seems to come up often in catchy car names).

Red Flyer (take off on the toy wagons from my little kid days)

Shifty (no particular reason, just came to mind)

Timid (same as above)

Low Boy (due to % weight below axle)

Red Tornado (name of a soft drink my kids like that starts with Red)

Mr. Misty (used to love the Cherry ones when I was a kid), which leads me to:

Brain Freeze (on a roll with the soft drink stuff, better stop now before someone calls the guys with the white coats)

If any other "inspiration" pops up, I'll come back and do an edit. I will be on-line at work for quite a while today, and you never know when a "good idea" (or at least they seem that way at the time :oops: ) is gonna come to you.

p.s. Very Nice work!
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby
pwdarchitect
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pwdarchitect »

"whatchamacallit"
"Red Rover"
"Run dad gum it"
"B-LIKE-ME"

Cool car BTW. Good luck with your WIRL adventures.
Any reason for going with a Dom LF?

J
GimpyPaw
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by GimpyPaw »

Thanks for the ideas, keep em up.

As for the color inspiration, left-overs from my son's cars. And of course, we all know that to take advantage of the coriollis effect you HAVE to rail-ride to the clock-wise direction :wink: Either that, or it was because I'm left handed?

I wanted to try an agressive rear weight design, with minimal mass in the front. To partially negate the instability associated with a light front end, I designed the front axle locations as inverted wings, with an angle of attack at aprox 5-6 deg down. That was the goal anyway. I would have liked the ballance to be more like 1/4" forward, but I'm ok with where it is. It runs very smooth, with no front-end hop or fishtail action.

The real trick was getting the lead to work with the goals I had in mind. I have a close friend who's an engineer w/ Precision Cast Parts, and through a few trial and error lessons on my part he helped me learn to cast the lead in such a way as to obtain maximum density (beyond what you will get from just filling a mold with molten lead and letting it cool).
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

GimpyPaw wrote:As for the color inspiration, left-overs from my son's cars. And of course, we all know that to take advantage of the coriollis effect you HAVE to rail-ride to the clock-wise direction :wink: Either that, or it was because I'm left handed?
Of course, that opens up a few more possibilities:

Lefty

SouthPaw (part Lefty, part take-off on GimpyPaw), and my personal favorite (TIC) so far:

Aurora Coriolis :wink: (Northern Lights/Aurora Borealis spin-off, although it might be a bit pretentious?)

Taffy Apple (from red?)

Redline

p.s. Names of other reddish colors that you could try to fit into your name:

Almandine
Crimson
Garnet
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby
GimpyPaw
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by GimpyPaw »

Hey, my wife came up with an idea for the car's name:

My Divorce! :shock:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

edit:

She thinks "Terms for Divorce" sounds better. Is this a good thing?
PWD
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PWD »

Beautiful car. Love the paint job. [moderator cut - league discussions should be done in the league forums] In the picture the wheels look to be stock.
pwdarchitect
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pwdarchitect »

PWD,

[moderator cut - league discussions should be done in the league forums]
Mike Doyle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Mike Doyle »

"CODE RED"

That seems to be my drink of choice whenever I'm burning the midnight oil on projects :D
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Teeeman »

Glue on a piece of toothpick and paint it gold... glue on a sticker of a big eye... and call it Purple Pinewood Eater.

It worked for us with our austere design this year (laughing!).

Plum Crazy (or was that already given above?)

-Terry
"I dunno..." - Uncle Eddie, Christmas Vacation
GimpyPaw
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by GimpyPaw »

PWD wrote:Beautiful car. Love the paint job. [moderator cut - league discussions should be done in the league forums] In the picture the wheels look to be stock.
:? Is there a rule against mentioning or talking about any of the racing leagues? Not making trouble, just trying to stay out of it. :wink:

Thanks for the complement. The wheels are totally stock. I turned them round on my wheel jig, polished the treds, bores, and hubs. I'm having some trouble getting them balanced right, because the rules are that you can't shave material from the interior. I'm trying to use small drops of clear fingernail polish, but I don't like the idea of adding more weight to the wheels. Oh well, everything is a trade-off I guess.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

GimpyPaw wrote: :? Is there a rule against mentioning or talking about any of the racing leagues? Not making trouble, just trying to stay out of it. :wink:
Mentioning them is one thing, discussing them is another. Our focus on Derby Talk is on the kids races, so discussions relating to these leagues are better posted on the league forums.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.