Fund Raising PWD race next weekend 06/30/07

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
Doug-in-the-woods
Pine Head
Pine Head

Fund Raising PWD race next weekend 06/30/07

Post by Doug-in-the-woods »

Well it is crunch time. I am finishing up the finish line bridge, installing timers, waiting for the Lane Brain unit to come back from Bozeman Montana (just over the hill). Wanted them to ceck it out as it seemed to have a glitch every now and then.
Hopefully setting up track in parking lot of only super market in town next week for a test and tune session prior to the race on Saturday June 30th.
Still need to finish the co2 car as well as several "rental" cars for spectors to run if they want.
The trophies are all donated but I need to double check if ready.
Egads its almost 5:30am. Need to get my butt in gear.
Packdude
Journeyman
Journeyman

Re: Fund Raising PWD race next weekend 06/30/07

Post by Packdude »

Are you using the PWD as a fund raiser? If so, interesting concept. Let us know how it goes.
Doug-in-the-woods
Pine Head
Pine Head

Am raising funds for the local senior citizen center.
We bought 108 car kits (local merchants bought the kits) then they are selling them for $10 which includes their race entry ($4 forkit plus $6 for entry.
Most if not all the merchants are donating their $40 for the kits.
The orginal plan was to remimburse the merchants for the kits.
Local radio station (only one) announced everyday for last 3 weks abou the PWD race
Race open to anyone aged 5-85, stock and A.G. modified (anything goes almost-no fire, flames or liquid)
Estimated amount of return = $1200
Selling tickets for best of show, etc.
Have lots of prizes donated and all 12 trophies donated as well.
Only real cost otta my pocket was my designing and building the electronic start tree and electric gates ( during the first test runs, it looks like this starting system is a real hoot (read interesting and exciting fun)
Start gate operate indepently of each other by "driver"
And yes you can get a DQ red light.
Doug-in-the-woods
Pine Head
Pine Head

The fund raising PWD race went pretty good for a first time event. Gave out some beautiful trophies, lots of prizes and everyone had alot of fun.
Had a camera but was too busy conducting race.
The start tree worked great and was a great hit for the races and spectators.
I highly recommend adding to your races. It was really exciting when a racer was late releasing their car and just won by mere inches or less at the finish line. Being at the start gate I could really tell who was late or started too soon. Very few red lights. Counted red lights as a tie if the car that red lit crossed the finish line first. Reran the pair again.
Going to ask on radio for someone w/ pics and will post.
Several comments on length of track-558 inches from 6ft high start gate to finish line plus 8ft of elevated wooden track for shut down area.
Couldn't believe that the cars still went to end of shutdown area when the wooden part was elevated 16inches off the ground at the very end which is about a 20degree slope? I placed some cardboard under the center lane guide which slowed the cars down very well. Lane guide was just tacked at each end.