Getting PWD Kits into the Right Hands

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
TDean
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Getting PWD Kits into the Right Hands

Post by TDean »

Hey -- another quick question.
I keep seeing references to Packs (and I assume other youth groups) having PWD kits for sale before the races -- is this the norm for Pinewood Derbies? Our Pack has always issued a PWD kit to each registered Cub free of charge (paid for out of the Packs funds). Not surprisingly, we have a near 100% participation on race days. :thumbup:

Of course, if you mess up your block of wood -- or need to buy a dozen kits to find wheels that match, you're on your own... (and adults need to buy their own kits for the Open Races)

:?: Do many other Packs out there provide initial kits -- or is selling them standard? :?: Is this a fund raiser for the group??
TDean
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Getting PWD Kits into the Right Hands

Post by Stan Pope »

Whether the pack can cover the costs of the kits depends on how much money the pack has earned, whether sponsors (donors) have been cultivated, how the pack chooses to use its funds, etc. It is a pack decision.

My preference (way back when I was a Committee Chair or Cubmaster) was to provide the kits to each registered Scout. (I also like to have other pack event costs covered by one annual major money earning project to avoid always asking parents for money.)
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

TDean wrote:Do many other Packs out there provide initial kits -- or is selling them standard?
We provide kits to everyone, with a "suggested donation" that covers our cost for kits, plus a little extra for workshop supplies, awards, etc. Our rule is that money (or lack thereof) should never prevent anyone from participating.
Gavin Chafin
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Gavin Chafin »

Our Pack provides the cars free of charge. Additional cars are available for $3.50 for the Adult race (new this year) or if the scout wants additional cars.
ExtremePWD
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ExtremePWD »

Our pack provides free car kits to every scout. Our participation percentage is very high.
Da Graphite Kid
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Da Graphite Kid »

Two years back, when we did well in our popcorn fundraiser, the Pack gave out 53 free pinewood derby kits. There were only about 20 scouts who raced that year. Since, we have not done as well with our fundraiser and have had to pass the cost of the pwd kits on to the parents/Scouts. As a member of the Pack Committee, I cannot see spending what little money our Pack has on something that only gives a 40% return in participation (like last year, I have bought ten extra kits myself for those Cubs who can't afford their own). Last year we sold pwd kits for $4.00 each (although they cost the Pack $3.85 each) and this year we are selling them for $5.00 each (they cost the Pack $4.15 each). I don't understand the price increase from the Council store this year and may look into another source next year. The extra money will go towards awards but we really set the price where we did so we didn't have to carry around change. :roll: So far, we have not had any complaints about the price.

Da Graphite Kid
Gavin Chafin
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Gavin Chafin »

Da Graphite Kid wrote:Two years back, when we did well in our popcorn fundraiser, the Pack gave out 53 free pinewood derby kits. There were only about 20 scouts who raced that year. Since, we have not done as well with our fundraiser and have had to pass the cost of the pwd kits on to the parents/Scouts. As a member of the Pack Committee, I cannot see spending what little money our Pack has on something that only gives a 40% return in participation (like last year, I have bought ten extra kits myself for those Cubs who can't afford their own). Last year we sold pwd kits for $4.00 each (although they cost the Pack $3.85 each) and this year we are selling them for $5.00 each (they cost the Pack $4.15 each). I don't understand the price increase from the Council store this year and may look into another source next year. The extra money will go towards awards but we really set the price where we did so we didn't have to carry around change. :roll: So far, we have not had any complaints about the price.

Da Graphite Kid
I don't see how anyone could complain about the price. The experience is worth far more than the few measly dollars. But, I am surprised at what a low percentage of the boys participated. Last year, almost every scout showed up for our race (44 boys, not including 14 Tigers).
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Da Graphite Kid wrote:Two years back, when we did well in our popcorn fundraiser, the Pack gave out 53 free pinewood derby kits. There were only about 20 scouts who raced that year. Since, we have not done as well with our fundraiser and have had to pass the cost of the pwd kits on to the parents/Scouts. As a member of the Pack Committee, I cannot see spending what little money our Pack has on something that only gives a 40% return in participation (like last year, I have bought ten extra kits myself for those Cubs who can't afford their own). Last year we sold pwd kits for $4.00 each (although they cost the Pack $3.85 each) and this year we are selling them for $5.00 each (they cost the Pack $4.15 each). I don't understand the price increase from the Council store this year and may look into another source next year. The extra money will go towards awards but we really set the price where we did so we didn't have to carry around change. :roll: So far, we have not had any complaints about the price.

Da Graphite Kid
I don't know why BSA charges so much :(

Through the Awana Catalog, we get the car kits for $1.75 each, which come with nicely machined pins not the awful nails the BSA kits come with. I also notice that you can get one trophy from BSA for over $16, but through Awana you can get a set of 1st, 2nd and 3rd place trophies for $13.50. What gives? If you know someone in Awana that you could order from, you'd save some money.

We charge $5 for entry to the race. This covers the cost of the kits, trophies and other race costs, with a small amount to spare. I'd be a little afraid to just give the kits away, since you are more likely to show up for the race if you had to invest a little money in buying a car kit. We get some no shows each year, but not very many. If they have a kit they bought a previous year, but didn't use, we just charge them a $2.50 entrance fee.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
ExtremePWD
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ExtremePWD »

Da Graphite Kid
In another thread I mention that our pack has the boys pay the district race fees in advance then they are 100% reimbursed if they show up. We also occasionally use this for some public events when we have to buy tickets in advance. This probably could be applied to car kits. At least charge a reduced fee such as $2 and refund it on race night if they attend. Another way to look at the situation is who raised the money that bought the cars? If the kids did the fundraising then they worked to pay for the cars and if they elected not to do anything with them then that is their choice, unfortunately. Has anyone conducted an informal poll to understand why there was only a 40% participation rate? I'm guessing we typically have at least 90%. I wonder what is the typical participation rate at the average pack?
Da Graphite Kid
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Da Graphite Kid »

To all,
I'm not sure what that there is a single cause for our Packs low participation percentage.

I know that a lot of it has to do with rechartering as we lose almost 50% of the Pack at that time. We find that most parents sign their kids up with the understanding that BSA stands for Baby Sitters of America. This is not so and normally these kids only show up for free things like our Hot Dog Social and Christmas Party.

Some also don't like the idea of having to pay a recharter fee anyway. When the Pack can afford it, we pay 100% recharter fees. This year we cannot and these fees are $28 (Boys' Life magazine included) and we have lost a few Cubs because of this for this year.

I have also heard after last years race that many did not show up to race because "your sons are going to win anyway. So why show up and be disappointed". I have always strived to have other Cub/parent teams over to build pwd cars along with us in my shop but few have done so. Those that have always win first in their rank. I have always told what we do to our pwd cars to make them fast. This year I am making a point of personally talking to each Cub/parent team and inviting them over to build pwd cars. Short of building a car for them this is all I can do. This is my youngest sons last pwd race as a Cub Scout, so that excuse will be eliminated for next year.

This year we are making a really big deal about the race. We did the same for our Raingutter Regatta and hopefully this will increase participation in both. With a new track, timer and software this year, we will be able to switch from our older (shudder) double elimination racing method. This should streamline the racing which will make the parents happy ("I don't want to waste one of my Saturdays doing this") and add to the excitement for all. More trophies and awards as well this year. We also hope to get local media coverage too. We have been unable to do so in the past - this year I may just know the right people though.

Next year we will look for sponsorship for our Pack race as I have heard of others doing so and this would male it more affordable for all (with more and bigger trophies!). Our Council has frowned on any Pack soliciting businesses/individuals but the Pack that is running our District race has done so for their Pack race and for the District race as well. I guess the Council will just have to frown!

Da Graphite Kid
ExtremePWD
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ExtremePWD »

I certainly applaud your efforts to share your expertise. We have a number of "high performance" families in our pack and nobody has a monopoly. Maybe this helps some. The workshops are not widespread but there are individuals that openly offer to help those that need it but not many take advantage of the offers. Other competitions like design and best gas mileage creates more winners also and takes some pressure off of only going for the fastest. Good luck with this year's derby. I hope your positive actions are moving the program in the right direction.
Whistler
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Whistler »

Popcorn sales cover all the costs of our derby, including equipment upgrades, kits, patches for all the scouts, trophys and donuts for the set up crew. We usually have over 90% participation, and all the kids seem to get a real kick out of the event. Our Tigers compete and the last two years the fastest cars have come from their ranks (possibly because the building proportion directly done by the scouts increases with the scout's age). In any event, while we have some very competitive cars (especially in the creativity department), no one scout, or even group of scouts, has dominated the event. Maybe that has contributed to the turnout, but this event, and our Rocket Launch, are the best attended events for our pack.
ranman106
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ranman106 »

In our pack, each kid/parent is responsible for their own kits. Local scout supplier has them for #3.55 including taxes.
Barga Racing
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Barga Racing »

In our pack we have a local car dealer sponser the race. This means they pay for all the kits. It is a really nice thing for them to do. The only cost then is if someone wishes to get an extra kit and build a couple cars for testing or to simply try to get the best wheels and axles.
terryep
Merchant
Merchant

Post by terryep »

Our district race is sponsored by our city police association. They have an officer come by to operate the start gate for the finals. No speeding tickets yet!

Terry