BSA Axles versus Pinecar

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
iceman61
Journeyman
Journeyman

BSA Axles versus Pinecar

Post by iceman61 »

Anybody have opinions about the Pinecar brand axles? I bought a pack of 5 Pinecar axles today just to check them out. Visual is all I've done so far. I haven't put the caliper to them yet but so far the only difference I can see is that the shaft crimps are closer to the nail point. I know these would still have to be filed because of the constant pulling out of the slots/holes but that's where the crimp marks are on these, in the block mounting area.

Anyone have any opinions about these? quality etc.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: BSA Axles versus Pinecar

Post by sporty »

Sorry, I hope some others can chime in.

I mostly deal with BSA axles out of the kit or the axle/wheel kits.

Sporty
texasprd
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: BSA Axles versus Pinecar

Post by texasprd »

I started a similar thread recently - http://derbytalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=32 ... adedb60282. Take a look there for additional responses.

I like the Pinecar axles because you don't risk burring up the load-bearing area of the axle and taking it way out of round when removing the crimp ridges, as you do with the BSA axles. All you have to do is round back the axle head, and polish up the load-bearing area to your satisfaction. We leave the ridges on the Pinecar axles - when inserting the axle, we're careful to put it through the axle bore as straight as possible and to get the ridges all the way into the body (leaving sufficient side clearance).

I have no way to do a scientific test of prepped Pinecar axles vs. prepped BSA axles, but I am starting to prefer the Pinecar axles.