Race Day

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
Eric E.
Apprentice
Apprentice

Race Day

Post by Eric E. »

Well it's race day for our pack today. All 3 of my boys are racing and I can't sit still, (my wife thinks/knows I'm nuts).

The boys have 3 great looking cars that are running 6 feet on the dinning room table with no turnning. Should be great racing for them. Thanks for all of the knowledge I've gained from many of you.

Anyone else racing today?

Eric
Big Dirt
Journeyman
Journeyman

Re: Race Day

Post by Big Dirt »

Eric, yes we are going to the pack race in about an hour, i'm like you can't sit still !! I hope my son dose well he needs a little more luck than last year :) I think his nerves are made of stone, mines not :shock:
TDean
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TDean »

Eric/BigDirt --

So, how'd you guys do in the races??
:?: :?: :?:
TDean
Eric E.
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Eric E. »

Another Great year!

Each of the 3 boys took 1st place in their respective dens and the top 3 in the pack. Never lost a heat except when running against each other. When running against each other it was very close and usually lane dependant as to the winner.

My boys have had the top finish places in the pack every year they raced. They also have placed in the top three at districts each year (den only, no overall winners at district).

I don't say this to brag but to say thank you to all the guys that I gained information from over the last four years. Mostly I owe it to finding Stan's web site when I first started researching. Thank you Stan!! (Another year and I may resolve all my childhood issues... nahh!, I doubt it.) Also thanks to Hodge's Hobby and Max V for tips and supplies.

Off we go to Districts in April!!!!

Now if I could figure out how to get pictures on the web I'll post them.
TDean
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TDean »

Holy Pinecar! :D
Congratulations Eric (and sons), that's an amazing record! Though I'm sure the other members of your Pack will be relieved when your era of dominance is finally over -- some year.....
TDean
Big Dirt
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Big Dirt »

Well I have good news and bad news, The pack race was super for my son. He didn't lose a heat and won the pack! :o lots and lots of very good cars there. When we got home he took his car out of the box and one of the back wheels was broken off! he had it wrapped in a towel and in a tupperware box. I don't know what happend :? The car can't be repaired to race, the alignment will be horrible :cry: I'm going to call our district this afternoon to see if we can build another car for the district race. On a better note I was proud of me son because before the final race he shook the hand of the other scout and wished him luck. after most of the other parents had left I got my car out and used this race to show my son some of the finer points in wheel and axel prep.
TurtlePowered
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TurtlePowered »

Eric E. wrote:Another Great year!

Each of the 3 boys took 1st place in their respective dens and the top 3 in the pack. Never lost a heat except when running against each other. When running against each other it was very close and usually lane dependant as to the winner.

My boys have had the top finish places in the pack every year they raced. They also have placed in the top three at districts each year (den only, no overall winners at district).

I don't say this to brag but to say thank you to all the guys that I gained information from over the last four years. Mostly I owe it to finding Stan's web site when I first started researching. Thank you Stan!! (Another year and I may resolve all my childhood issues... nahh!, I doubt it.) Also thanks to Hodge's Hobby and Max V for tips and supplies.

Congrats are certainly in order!
TurtlePowered
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TurtlePowered »

Big Dirt wrote:Well I have good news and bad news, The pack race was super for my son. He didn't lose a heat and won the pack! :o lots and lots of very good cars there. When we got home he took his car out of the box and one of the back wheels was broken off! he had it wrapped in a towel and in a tupperware box. I don't know what happend :? The car can't be repaired to race, the alignment will be horrible :cry: I'm going to call our district this afternoon to see if we can build another car for the district race. On a better note I was proud of me son because before the final race he shook the hand of the other scout and wished him luck. after most of the other parents had left I got my car out and used this race to show my son some of the finer points in wheel and axel prep.
Congradulations! How did you secure your axels in the wood? Maybe the bad axel can get extracted and a new axel put in.
Gavin Chafin
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Gavin Chafin »

Big Dirt wrote:Well I have good news and bad news, The pack race was super for my son. He didn't lose a heat and won the pack! :o lots and lots of very good cars there. When we got home he took his car out of the box and one of the back wheels was broken off! he had it wrapped in a towel and in a tupperware box. I don't know what happend :? The car can't be repaired to race, the alignment will be horrible :cry: I'm going to call our district this afternoon to see if we can build another car for the district race. On a better note I was proud of me son because before the final race he shook the hand of the other scout and wished him luck. after most of the other parents had left I got my car out and used this race to show my son some of the finer points in wheel and axel prep.
Great! Regarding building another car, don't ask too many questions. If the rules don't forbid it, do it. It sounds like it's the boy that qualifies and not the car. If you ask, they may say, "Uh...No." If you don't ask, you wouldn't have violated any rules and no one will know the difference anyway. But, I would certainly try to fix the car. Is it really beyond repair? That's really bizarre how it broke.
Gavin Chafin
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Gavin Chafin »

Eric E. wrote:Another Great year!

Wow! That is truly remarkable.
Big Dirt
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Big Dirt »

Gavin, have started a new car this afternoon, we will try and make it look just like the one that was broken. I have a thought I have posted in another thread, any thoughts would be helpful. When I figure this stuff out i'll post some pics.
Eric E.
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Eric E. »

BigDirt,
Congrats!!! :clap: It sure is a thrill watching your son win, of course I get 3 X's the thrill.

Thanks for all the nice comments guys. :oops: Truth be known, they are in a pack that is not highly competitive. Only a few mild cases of pinehead.

As for me I think I might build a car and give it a WIRL.
Scoremaker
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scoremaker »

My Son's Race is this Saturday. Check-in is on Friday. He's been waiting a long time for this.
Den_Leader
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Den_Leader »

Tonight's the race :D , if it's not cancelled due to snow :cry: .

Seriously, at what number or percentage of boys who can't make it, do you delay the event. Luckily it's not my call. I would hate to think that a boy doesn't get to race because he couldn't get there! IMO if even one boy doesn't get to race due to weather, then the event should have been delayed ahead of time. Why risk it? I'm sure that some folks will be upset no matter which way the decision goes. Our local shcool was cancelled today, so I think a precedent has been set. Unfortunately our derby committee (of which I am part) did not have a plan ready :oops:. So now the Cubmaster is left in a tough spot.

What are some contingengy plans related to weather which are in place in your groups :?: It's too late to fix today's problem, but not too late to get a solution in place for next year.

Since Logan might race tonight, I'm very nervous :shake:. He built two cars and will test run prior to the race to determine the entrant (per pack rules). Both are 'rail' designs but one is thick (1/2"), has a pointed nose with a 3/16" flat front, uses an elliptical rear, and is named "The Silver bullet". The other is thin (.18"), has an additional rail hole between the front axle and the square front end, is capable of running upside down, has the Cg below the axle plane, and is named "Pineapple Cake". I'm sure they are both fast. Fast enough? We shall see.... either way our team has already won. :thumbup:
Slow Car Disease? ~ The cure is in your hands!
terryep
Merchant
Merchant

Post by terryep »

Our cub pack follows the school district, if schools are cancelled meeings are cancelled.

Good luck in the races! Ours are still weeks away.

Terry