Wow, what a great day at the derby

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
Gameday
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Wow, what a great day at the derby

Post by Gameday »

Today my two boys and I entered cars into an open District Derby. There were 80 cars entered across the normal cub divisions, a scout div, parents/leaders div, and Outlaw div. The District used a 42' Aluminum track.

They ran the derby in rank order starting with Tigers and finishing with Outlaws. After the Tiger and Wolf divs the track record was 3.14 secs. My older boy's (Bear) first run was a blazing 3.05, for a new track record, with this car:

Each scout could enter up to three cars. My boy entered two. His second car zipped off a 3.06 (I wasn't writing the times down so I don't have more specific times).

Another boy had a 3.08 run but all his other runs were a bit slower. So, at that point my boy had the top two cars with his best time of 3.0544.

Next, my 5-year old ran in the parents/leaders div with the car in the background of this pic and ran a 3.06:

At this point it was starting to get a little embarrassing because all three of the cars were so far out in front of all the others. No one knew who we were since we're not affiliated with this District but parents noticed the name on our boxes and started asking us why the cars were so much faster.

Next the Scouts were up and then finally I got to run my Outlaw:

This post documents its construction:

http://derbytalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=3542

I was very nervous because there was another dad who enters cars into a national derby and there were a few other cars that looked very competitive. There were no rules so I figured the normal 5 oz/7" rule applied but was surprised to find out it didn't. One cars was 8 ounces and another had a cheater bar that extended about 1.5 inches beyond the normal front. And, to make it worse, last night I discovered I did a poor job drilling the front axle holes and the axles were at a slight angle to the body. I didn't have time to fix it so I ran it as is.

But my concern was unfounded. That little beast whipped off a 2.96 run! The crowd was actually pretty excited. It set new track records on each of the next two runs, too. The best time was 2.9554.

So, at the end of the day my older boy had the top two overall finishers, my younger boy won the Adults/Leaders div, and I won the Outlaw div. There were quite a few smiles and a lot of excitement in the truck on our ride home!

And, the best part is the District asked me to come back next year and run a workshop (which I agreed to do).
Last edited by Gameday on Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Wow, what a great day at the derby

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

That's great!!! It sounds like everyone had a great time. And came home with some hardware!!
keithg30
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by keithg30 »

LOL !!! NOW THAT A GOOD DAY !!!! And to have the kids involved is always a plus !!!!! :D
doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by doct1010 »

Congrats to the crew! Did you flush the bearings or run 'em as is?
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

WOW!!! What more can I say? :)
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Gameday
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Gameday »

doct1010 wrote:Congrats to the crew! Did you flush the bearings or run 'em as is?
Thanks for the comments, guys. Regarding the bearings, I ran out of time so I didn't flush them. I might do that before our District Derby next week. But, on the other hand, Bubba might be bringing his Outlaw car and I'd hate to make mine slower.
woodworx
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by woodworx »

Awesome job , The kids (and probably the big one) will stoked for days with a showing like that. my boy is excited just reading about your success

Woodworx
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

Gameday wrote:Thanks for the comments, guys. Regarding the bearings, I ran out of time so I didn't flush them. I might do that before our District Derby next week. But, on the other hand, Bubba might be bringing his Outlaw car and I'd hate to make mine slower.
We wouldn't mind :wink:

Just kidding. Win or lose, it's more fun to race when you're both on your "A game".

Bubba
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby