PWD books

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
slojim
Apprentice
Apprentice

PWD books

Post by slojim »

My tiger cub son is really into books right now, and really enjoyed his first derby. He did almost everthing, except cutting the car. We took turns polishing axles. I'd like to buy us a pwd book, perhaps Dominant by Design or Pinewood Derby Speed Secrets. Anybody have either one? Is one cooler/better/more updated whatever than the other?
Randy and Son
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: PWD books

Post by Randy and Son »

I don't know enough about those books to make a recommendation, but if you and your son want to spend time "learning" the physics involved in building a competitive car, a very respected member of DerbyTalk has an excellent reference published at the following web site.

http://members.aol.com/standcmr/lbw_apl.html

You will learn the "why"s and not just the "how"s. You will also be challenged to put some thought into it as well to come up with some of the answers.

Randy
slojim
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by slojim »

Thankks, there is certainly plenty of info here on this site and on the web, but so far, my son likes books he can take with him, so I'm really looking for a decent book. I doubt either one I mentioned is bad or wrong, but I thought I'd ask...
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Check out Randy's book at Maximum Velocity or David's book, Pinewood Derby Speed Secrets, at your Scout Shop. Both are good and the price is reasonable. A word of warning on David's book (and really applies to anything that you read): Some of the stuff in it are outside the limits of many local rules. None-the-less, you can learn from those things, too, even if you can't use 'em!
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Teeeman »

… you can always print Stan’s book :)

-T
"I dunno..." - Uncle Eddie, Christmas Vacation
BigDozer66
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by BigDozer66 »

I have copies of David's book as well as Randy's and they are both excellent. :D

BigDozer66
"one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Cubmaster and AWANA Game Director
BlackLotus
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by BlackLotus »

I also have a copy of "Pinewood Derby Speed Secrets" by David Meade and "Speed to the Finish" by Randy Davis. Both are great books and give a lot of information. I can't and won't say a bad thing about either.

That being said, my son has "Learn to Build a Winner" on his summer reading list for two reasons.

1. Instead of just telling you what to do, it guides the boy to figure out why he should do it.

2. Stan is extremely active here and, if my son has a question, I know Stan will be there.

Stan's book will take a little more father involvement because the answers are not spoon fed, but scouts should be a father/son time.

Just my $.02