Car Display Case Plans

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Car Display Case Plans

Post by gpraceman »

Here's a display case that I built each of my kids, along with the plans. Each case holds 9 cars, but this could easily be modified for more or less cars. 3/8" dowels are used to hold the cars with the rear dowels being higher than the fronts, to provide a better view of the cars. To personalize them for my 3 kids, the outside of their case is painted in a color of their choice.

You don't have to drill all of the way through the side panels for the dowels, but I found it easier to stack the side panels together and drill all the way through both. This helps ensure that the holes will line up well with each other.

You can get more fancy and put a plexiglas front onto it as well as wall hanger loops.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
AlabamaDan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Car Display Case Plans

Post by AlabamaDan »

This is perfect! I've been trying to decide what type of display case or stand that my Webelos shoudl build and I think this is it! This will be perfect for each boy to display his cars from all of his cub scout career! Thanks!
Bullitt3401
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Bullitt3401 »

I used these plans to help us build a display for last year's car. Thanks! 8)

gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Very nice! :bigups:
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
AlabamaDan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by AlabamaDan »

Nice job! :thumbup:

Seeing the trophy with it gives me a great idea! You know how some shelves have coat hooks under the bottom? How about a shelf with a shadow box underneath for the trophies! I was going to build a shelf and a shadow box, but why not combine the two! :thinking:
SuperGeekDad
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by SuperGeekDad »

Thanks all for the ideas. I built a set for my kids with a capacity of 5 each (1 for each year in Cub Scouts). Here are the dimensions for anyone who is interested.

I wanted to keep the size of the box as small as possible so it could be kept on any shelf or wall. I thought I'd reduce the footprint if I didn't have a hinged door, but I still wanted to keep the dust off the cars. So in lieu of a hinged door I put a sheet of glass in a notch I rabbeted in the front. The glass can be slid out after you open a hinge at the top. Now that I've finished them, I think a hinged door might have been a better idea. But the boxes still turned out well.

[sorry for the large photos -- I thought they'd be automatically resized to something smaller]
Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scrollsawer »

I'm loving all of these plans. I definitely need to make something for my boys as well. Their cars are just sitting in boxes in the garage, and I need to get them cleaned off and on display.

I will also likely incorporate trophies in the design, but we don't have room for all of them. :dance2: :dance2: :-P :-P

Scrollsawer
"Laugh a while you can Monkey Boy."