Austin Hatcher Foundation Charity Pinewood Derby Races

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
scoutfrog
Pine Head
Pine Head

Austin Hatcher Foundation Charity Pinewood Derby Races

Post by scoutfrog »

The Austin Hatcher Foundation For Pediatric Cancer is having a series of pinewood derby races from June 5-12 2010. The races will be at each of the stops of the 2010 Hot Rod Power Tour. 7 races, in 7 cities, over 7 days. There are stops in Iowa, Illinois(2), Kentucky, Tennessee & Alabama(2). There are kits that have to be bought form the foundation and must remain in stock shape.
Here are the web sites for more info and I'll try to keep everyone posted about planning as I find out more. Since the charity is local, I'll be picking up my kits Friday and starting to work. :D
http://www.hatcherfoundation.org/pinewo ... /index.php
http://www.hotrod.com/2010/powertour/index.html
pwrd by tungsten
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Austin Hatcher Foundation Charity Pinewood Derby Races

Post by pwrd by tungsten »

That is really cool.

Thanks for sharing!
scoutfrog
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by scoutfrog »

I missed the press conf. (thought it was canceled due to snow) and just found it in the on line paper.
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2010 ... into-town/" target="_blank
The foundation also has a facebook page about the Power Tour.
http://www.facebook.com/friends/?id=108 ... 2789404025" target="_blank
murphken
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by murphken »

Looks like this track is a plastic, center aligned track.

We got two cars from Austin Hatcher last week. One for my boy and one for Dad. Looks like a fun project for the two of us! Here are my thoughts on the build of these cars. All these mods seem ethical based upon the rules.

The bodies are heavy > kinda like a wooden land yacht. The rules state "The block must maintain its original shape". You should be able to remove weight from the block and maintain its original shape. If one could remove enough weight from front and cut the axles in two, one could build a RR. There is little play for wheels to move on axle. Rules say nothing about cutting the axles. Slots must be used > fill slots in and align/re-drill slots.

There are a few ideas (coatings) on how to get rid of the friction between the axle caps and outer bore hub. Got to prove it out. If it works one could cant rear axles. If it doesn't one would have to run the rear axle(s) straight.

Lightly sanding wheels is subjective and open for interpretation. Bore preparation straight forward. Good conversation piece and a liberal interpretation of the rules. Fair or pushing it? :scratching:
SHINING LIGHT Pinewood Derby & Audio
scoutfrog
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by scoutfrog »

just a couple pics of my car
If you want to know my speed secrets, you'll just have to come to the race Wed. (or i'll post here after )
murphken
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by murphken »

I would like to thank Scoutfrog for the information. We had a great time at the race in Chattanooga. Scoutfrog's car was a very nice build with attention to detail. I was impressed!
SHINING LIGHT Pinewood Derby & Audio
46u

Post by 46u »

I know this is a fairly old thread and even thaw there has been a few changes on the magic track over the last couple of years how did the track hold up in these races?
Thanks
Jeff