Do you hold back info locally?

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Do you hold back info locally?

Post by FatSebastian »

I have read stories about kids suffering in the standings after their fathers were very open about sharing their car-building tricks in their unit - with the fathers later regretting it. While DT participants tend to be very generous with information over the Internet, how guarded are you (or not) regarding the sharing of potentially advantageous information within your own unit?
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Do you hold back info locally?

Post by *5 J's* »

I withhold information for fear of exposing my disease.

Seriously - I start by explaining such things as filing the flashing and crimp marks off the axles - then I talk about weight placement - if at this point I get the"wow - you're really into this" I will stop there. If not I next I get into sanding the axles - then alignment -this is a far as I have got with anybody locally. I have never made it to discussing bore prep - railriding - cantilevered method for wheel alignment, etc.
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

Usually when I give technical advise people eyes roll back in their head!!! Some of them must have found this site, there where a few fast cars this year, including one who beat us by nearly .030.
murphken
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by murphken »

We are open to give anything out to our pack. It makes racing fun and more challenging. It is not fun to blow the doors off of everyone at a pack race. Need to make interesting for everyone theree.
Next year, I will be doing workshops for two packs and will suggest building cars with the right stuff. We have attention to detail, lower weight placement due to tungsten. We used our track for pack this year. We did not use the track at home till after the pack race. Next year, we will have to let Cubs run their cars on track, before race, if they want. We will be setting up at home from time to time to test cars.
SHINING LIGHT Pinewood Derby & Audio
stang68
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by stang68 »

We run all Derby related meetings as a regular Pack meeting,like build nights,test nights as well as the races.We share all information with everyone attending these meetings.We have some builders that refuse to patisapate or offer advise to scouts at these meetings.
Last edited by stang68 on Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kenny
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Kenny »

FatSebastian wrote:I have read stories about kids suffering in the standings after their fathers were very open about sharing their car-building tricks in their unit - with the fathers later regretting it. While DT participants tend to be very generous with information over the Internet, how guarded are you (or not) regarding the sharing of potentially advantageous information within your own unit?
This is a very tough question to answer, but to be honest I was, and remain, guarded both locally and on the Internet with certain details of racing success over the years.

I have different reasons for this, some selfish perhaps, especially when we were still racing in Scouts -it was VERY competitive after all. And, I freely admit that I am extremely competitive in nearly every facet of my life. More, Better, Faster....it's who I am.

However, I've always felt obliged to protect the experience of learning, discovery, while being always willing to help those who asked for it and genuinely trying to help themselves. There's a big difference between lack of resources, and pure laziness...I am not interested helping the lazy! I am always interested in helping people, especially kids, help themselves.

I hope this makes sense, but it is my feeling on this and I am good with it.

K
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

There is lots of wisdom in Kenny's comments. Like Kenny, I'd prefer to help reward those who are working to understand. Consequently, I'd prefer to help 'em understand concepts but avoid writing a "cookbook". But sometimes I get carried away and ... :(
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

In large group discussions, I emphasize alignment, axle polishing, and lubrication. This year, some of the adult leaders thought even that was excessive, and tried to get the kids to enter their cars without lubrication, because lubrication is "too much bother".
:pullhair:

Privately or in small groups, I answer any questions the kids want to ask. (Generally, it's the kids asking. If adults care at all, then they're usually boasting about some "silver bullet" technique they discovered.) But I answer questions by walking the kids through the "why", rather than just telling the kids what to do.

So far, the questions haven't gotten to the point of discussing alignment techniques beyond using a drill press to press straight axle holes, let alone rail riding.
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by rpcarpe »

No, I don't hold back. Especially when it's for the boys.

In late 2008, I loaned my copy of David Meade's book (didn't know about Doc Jobe's BGB yet) to two friends. Showed them my current cars and explained a bit. They both ignored it, and they built slow, slow cars with their kids.

In late 2009, I held a 1 hr derby workshop, kids liked it and I got some good questions from the parents.
Two kid/parent teams later came to my workshop to get guidance on their cars. The kids came up with good designs and I showed them how to use the tools etc... Had to move in Jan 2010 so I don't their results yet.

At the District races, I ran the Pit and gave as much advice and tips as people wanted. Yeah, some folks now know I'm crazy about it. But if they show the interest, I'd gladly teach anything I've learned.
The saddest thing is that so few parents will take the time & effort to do it well.
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

I share everything, they may not always use it or applt the info. But I share it all at the workshops and the families that come over.

No regrets at all. Would rather loose to someone who uses the info and the familiy who puts in the time and effort.

Sporty
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

sporty wrote:I share everything, they may not always use it or applt the info. But I share it all at the workshops and the families that come over.

No regrets at all. Would rather loose to someone who uses the info and the familiy who puts in the time and effort.

Sporty
:bigups:
doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by doct1010 »

My sons first year in PWD, a few cars failed to finish and had to be "helped" across finish line. I vowed that should never happen. Following year we began offering workshops to all interested. Our goal; every car will finish. As a result all cars finished and overall pack became more competitive.

As cars became more competitive, the questions and our answers became more complex. We shared openly with all willing to listen and learn. We did so without fear of losing. We reasoned, if we get beat by our own advise it is because they worked harder, prepared better, possibly used the info more creatively and deserved the win. We always felt very confident in our effort.

In his last year we offered two workshops a beginner and advanced, families could attend both if they chose. In that last year several cars swapped track records with us in our final derby. The most competitive Derby to date. Although our racing days are, for the most part, behind us, we continue to offer workshops and continue to share all our DT golden nuggets. Competition remains high and new crop of dads are eager to learn with hopes of breaking our track record! 8)
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

*5 J's* wrote:I withhold information for fear of exposing my disease.
There's a grain of truth in this. I built a test track mainly so the kids can have fun with their cars outside the 30 seconds they spend annually on the official track at the derby. But we may never disclose that we have a test track, partly out of not wanting to cause controversy, partly out of not wanting to discourage competition, and partly for not wanting to be known as a fanatic. :)

Like most other things derby related, I asked my son what he preferred a while ago, thinking he might like us to share a lot more info now that he's got a few first place trophies on the shelf. His response: he still preferred us to hold more advanced information close to our vests, at least until the end of our racing careers. I respect and honor that, but at the same time I answer all direct questions honestly. In our unit, few folks ever ask us anything, though.
doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by doct1010 »

doct1010 wrote: We reasoned, if we get beat by our own advise it is because they worked harder, prepared better, possibly used the info more creatively and deserved the win.
That should read "I reasoned....". My son had a difficult time digesting giving away a competitive advantage. His understanding deepened with age. He led our most recent workshop and I assisted, looking for reassurance on only the more technical.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

doct1010 wrote:He led our most recent workshop and I assisted, looking for reassurance on only the more technical.
That is wonderful! You must be so proud...