Houston Cub Scout Council Races - Megaderby 7

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
bigtex
Pine Head
Pine Head

Houston Cub Scout Council Races - Megaderby 7

Post by bigtex »

It's about time for our Houston Council Cub Scout races!!!! MegaDerby 7!!!!!!

Spoke to Arpad last week and he's hoping to have the http://www.megaderby.com updated shortly....

Last official race of the season!!!

April 24th, 2010

Can I get a roll call???
Last edited by bigtex on Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
OneHour
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Houston Cub Scout Council Races - Megaderby 7

Post by OneHour »

Hey bigtex ... I think that I overslept! Looked for it in Feb and March and didn't find it. I tried but apparently the registration is over. Oh well, we'll see if we can register onsite. See you there.

1Hour

Hold the phone ... ok I guess that I did not have my coffee for the morning! That was 2009 registration .... no wonder it is closed! :oops:
Last edited by OneHour on Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigtex
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by bigtex »

Online registration didn't even start yet...they're still in the process of updating the web site for 2010.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Seems like a pretty neat race! I especially like that there are multiple events to participate in. Very creative. :thumbup:

+ Texas Roll Down (Time Trials to determine Top Gun and Top Turtle)
+ King of the Hill (more of a traditional race)
+ Deathwood Derby (demolition derby)
+ Golden Gate Slalom (who can go the straightest)

I'd like to see more council races like it, like ours here in the Denver area (no council race currently).
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
bigtex
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by bigtex »

And Doc Jobe has been there for the past fews years as well...

http://www.pinewoodderbyphysics.com/index.shtml
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I heard that the Denver Area Council was going to be adding a council level race at our annual Scout Show. I'm trying to get a hold of the person coordinating that effort and let them know about that Houston race. I like that it is more than just a single race. Having multiple events would make things more interesting and likely increase participation.

Hmmm... Maybe have a loop-the-loop, big rig competition, outlaw race. Lots of possibilities...
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by dna1990 »

We are still deciding, there is a big SoapBox Derby race that same day...my son always enjoys MegaDerby, even if he has yet to place higher than the top quarter. He wants another shot at the DeathDerby Crash track. His truck got flipped off in the early rounds last year.

I myself will not likely be able to volunteer with Arpi and Pat, and will be working at the SBD instead.

If anyone in and around Houston is interested...www.houstonsoapboxderby.org. The new Hockley track is really fun to race on.

There are some interesting ideas starting to develop for folks setting up big PWD race events as part of their BSA2010 celebrations. Councils wanting the highest, longest, fastest, widest, curviest, etc. If you hear of any post em here, so we can all copy the idea!
Nitro Dan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Nitro Dan »

Can someone please get some pictures or possibly video of the "Deathwood Derby" this year? :pray: I would really, really like to see some more on that one! :bigups:

-Nitro Dan
Take good and make it great. Take fast and make it faster. Performance drives success!
dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by dna1990 »

April 24...just fly on in Nitro...!

I think it has been described before, but it is a track made from MDF or plywood material, side rails - no center strip.

The track is about 50' long (I guess) and each end is curved up to about the usual 4-5' height. A solenoid starter release both cars from each top at the same time, and they race towards each other for a mid-track crash (sometimes passing by each other, as the track is about 8" wide or so, they go uphill and then come backwards at each other).
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

dna1990 wrote:The track is about 50' long (I guess) ...
Thanks for the description, dna! I see the track length is advertised here as 40'. Regardless, I was curious how a car advances in the Deathwood Derby - it seems like judges somehow declare a winner after an impact? :scratching:
dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by dna1990 »

Yea, I forget exact rules, but basically car remaining closest on the track.

Of course it is less about advancing and more about the spectacle.
bigtex
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by bigtex »

Just got word from the organizer....

Texas Roll Down – time trials track - race against the clock, accurately compare with other cars in the Council
Classic “King of the Hill” Downhill - the traditional derby everyone knows and loves
South Texas Super-Collider – High Energy Physics Cub Scout Style - the original collision "survivor" event – cars collide again and again against each other until they are eliminated – complimentary grief counseling available
BSA 100 MegaDown – in Honor of BSA’s 100th anniversary, fly down SHAC’s first-ever 100-foot track!

Guests and visitors can enter too! (In Open division, subject to available space).

They had to drop the Golden Gate Slalom this year....
Kenny
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Kenny »

Awesome event, and quite a spectacle that is really well executed.

We've had a lot of fun here over the past 4 years, but Andrew has crossed over and says he's officially retired with nothing left to prove. <sigh>

Andrew and I always thought we were very fortunate to have this event so near each year.
Good luck to you guys and keep up the good work!

K (Andrew)

2008 Megaderby Grand Champion and 2008 King of the Hill
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

:offtopic:
Kenny wrote:We've had a lot of fun here over the past 4 years, but Andrew has crossed over and says he's officially retired with nothing left to prove.
K, with Andrew's retirement, are there any good fishin' holes that you might now share with your DT friends, or will those still be guarded? :)

All the best to Andrew on the trail to Eagle! :salute: