Invitational Race Format

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
Kenny
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Invitational Race Format

Post by Kenny »

What do you think about my fantasy Invitational Race Format?

Shoebox Invitational

Summary: Invited racer teams must consisting of a child age 12 or under, and an adult age 18 or over, must build and finish a pinewood car within the same building using anything that can fit in a standard cardboard sneaker shoe box (US Mens shoe size 14 or smaller). Each team will be given two standard 2009 BSA pinewood derby car kits sealed from the factory. Each team will have access to a shared set of power tools and equipment including:
Band Saw
Scroll Saw
Drum Sander
Precision Drill Press
12inch Mini-Lathe
TAIG Precision Lathe
Disc Sander
8-foot precision tuning and alignment table
face shields

Each team gets 6 hours to complete their car(s), but may race only one car at the end of the day against other teams.

Other rules:
1. Gravity propulsion only
2. Nothing that may foul or damage aluminum track surface
3. Everything and anything needed to build and race a car that is not on the shared list MUST be brought in the Shoebox by the race teams.
4. Lid must fit properly within the original unmodified shoebox.
5. Wheels or axles other than what comes in the kits provided are prohibited.

By accepting the invitation you agree to allow a video crew to record and publish your team during the building process including the race and post race interviews.

K
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Invitational Race Format

Post by FatSebastian »

Neat idea. :thumbup:
Kenny wrote:a standard cardboard sneaker shoe box (US Mens shoe size 14 or smaller)
:thinking: Is there such a thing as "standard" shoebox? I wonder if you would ultimately need to propose the maximum inside dimensions of said box...
Kenny wrote:Invited racer teams must consisting of a child age 12 or under, and an adult age 18 or over
What are the supposed roles of the child(ren) versus the adult(s) on each team? Is there an expectation that this is a competition between adult-assisted children, or between child-assisted adults?
Kenny wrote:Each team will have access to a shared set of power tools and equipment
I wonder if it might be more challenging to the participants (and more interesting and informative to the final audience of the video) to limit the available power tools to items that might be commonly available for children's races. For example, I doubt that many Cub scouts would ever use a lathe.
Kenny wrote:Each team gets 6 hours to complete their car(s)
How many teams are to be invited? I suspect the amount of time allowed would be proportional to the number of teams participating, because each team would likely desire early access to the shared tools.
Kenny wrote:Each team will be given two standard 2009 BSA pinewood derby car kits sealed from the factory.
Rather than sealed kits, I wonder if it might be fairer for each team to be given kit parts that are similar, e.g., the wheel mold numbers are the same between the kits, and wood blocks of nearly equal density (weight)?
Kenny wrote:Wheels or axles other than what comes in the kits provided are prohibited.
Are competing teams allowed to share / swap official parts?
Kenny wrote:By accepting the invitation you agree to allow a video crew to record and publish your team during the building process including the race and post race interviews.
Here we ask the competitors to give something away. Other than prestige for the winners, what incentives / compensation might there be for participating?
dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by dna1990 »

FS has some good clarifying questions, but yea - we would like something like that...

What was that old British show...Junkyard Wars...? I kinda think the idea of a live-build is a great twist to a traditional PWD 'race'.

Where are you thinking for location?
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

Kenny wrote:By accepting the invitation you agree to allow a video crew to record and publish your team during the building process
dna1990 wrote:What was that old British show...Junkyard Wars...?
:nod: I think K is planning a reality TV show! Different sets of teams come in on different days, with each day being videotaped and re-edited into a single episode, and the X fastest teams of the day advance to compete in a big build-off and race at the end of season!

Of course there must be some exciting twist in the season finale's championship build-off that the final teams didn't quite expect. (A requirement that each team must remove 5 different items from their shoebox? Only battery-powered tools are available as shared equipment, and each team is given a limited-capacity battery? Each team must incorporate an unusual, additional part into their design? :idk: )
doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by doct1010 »

K,

My sons Boy Scout troop had a one day build. 6 hoursn no parents allowed, supervised by scout master and several eagle scouts. Did not have quite the array of tools you list, however did have acess to band saw and table saw in addition to hand and hand power tools. It came about as a result of several boys crossing over. Unanimously they expressed a desire to continue PWD racing. I suggested the one day build to scout master, he bought it. It has been a fixture ever since.

They race followed the cub derby. Check photo section for pics. He finished 1st in a troop of 23-25 (memory fails me) boy scouts.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3247" target="_blank
Kenny
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Kenny »

doct1010 wrote:K,

My sons Boy Scout troop had a one day build. 6 hoursn no parents allowed, supervised by scout master and several eagle scouts. Did not have quite the array of tools you list, however did have acess to band saw and table saw in addition to hand and hand power tools. It came about as a result of several boys crossing over. Unanimously they expressed a desire to continue PWD racing. I suggested the one day build to scout master, he bought it. It has been a fixture ever since.

They race followed the cub derby. Check photo section for pics. He finished 1st in a troop of 23-25 (memory fails me) boy scouts.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3247" target="_blank
Very cool Doc, I'm not sure how I managed to miss this post of yours. Bravo, and a tip of my hat to ya.

K
Kenny
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Kenny »

I've not sorted out the details yet, but there are some cool scholarship funds available to the child participant as well as some charitable contributions which would split a significant share of the "gate".

Major sponsors include MSC Direct, Power Master, Jet, Harbor Freight, Taig, Mc Master Carr, MIT, US Armed Forces.

Qualifications to the invitational are not yet worked out, but the idea is to lure the "legends" to the table.

Race format in all locations is low average of 6 heats.

Track is 48 foot freedom track with Micro Wizard timer and GP Race Manager.

Once the car is submitted it may not be handled again until after all heats have completed - no exceptions. eg. Cars may not be repaired or re-lubed. Any car that fails to finish a heat is out of the competition regardless of the reason.

New cars will be built for nationals - Same rules as regionals.

K
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

Kenny wrote:I've not sorted out the details yet, but...
Kenny wrote:What do you think about my fantasy Invitational Race Format?
I think this is sounding like more than "fantasy"!
doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by doct1010 »

Kenny wrote: Very cool Doc, I'm not sure how I managed to miss this post of yours. Bravo, and a tip of my hat to ya.

K
K,

I offered this as evidence that it CAN be done, not fishing for kudos, although I appreciate the kind words. Logistically, a dedicated space with ample table (work area) and tools are a must. We used the local HS wood shop,(convenient for certain, but not an absolute) all boys assembled at 8:00 am when kits were handed out and worked until 2:00pm. They were allowed to bring personal tools (Derby Worx) but no prepped parts. In essence the car had to be built from scratch in 6 hours, they then raced following Cub Derby.

Any questions you may have don't hesitate to ask, gladly help in any way I am able.