We win again

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

We win again

Post by sporty »

My sons race was saturday.

He took first place and fastest of the pack.

I took 1st place in open class and best of show. Tron led car.

Hay, I got it faster than I thought. I did some changes,actually rebuilt the car 2 times and got the speeds decent.

I got some pictures, jsut have not had time to upload them and post yet.

I will say, It was not the same. The glory was a bit lost. I think its not that fun for me anymore. The luster is gone after 11 years. I think it also had to do with adult league racing, it took alot of the fun away from it, with doing cars almost every month last year. Or time has jsut finally caught up with me.

I do not know how council will go for us this year, it's not until April. I realized on race day, we over tuned the car to the track I have and we were a litle slower than last year.

But I'm not for sure, though. because nows a good time for you all to chime in on this. They decided to use pledge on the track 1 hour before the race. I feel it caused the cars to run slower.

Can some people who have used pledge on there wooden track, chime in here ?

I got call call, because after the boy scouts race, they ran a powder puff race and it seemed from the phone call I got. that the times were getting faster overall on the track as that 2nd race event went on. Pledge coming off ?

Sporty
pwrd by tungsten
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: We win again

Post by pwrd by tungsten »

Congratulations!!!!!!

Great News!!!!

I knew your race was on Saturday so I was looking for the post. :D :D :D
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Thanks Eric.

Much appreciated.

Ryan
Aron
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Aron »

Way to go Sporty! Just glad we don't have to run against you :nervous:
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

Congrats!!

I know all about PWD burnout. Out last 2 years I was just going through the motions, we took 2nd in every event. Now that our youngest son has moved on to Boy Scouts I don't really miss the PWD. I just got an email from the old Pack asking for the PWD handouts I've been giving all the kids for the past 5 years. I wonder if I'll get invited back for the race? Sorry for the hijack, just reminiscing.
dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by dna1990 »

I think Pledge on the guide rails (edges) would help speed. I think for the surface, alot of variables and conjecture. Assuming it was wiped down very well, it could have been so slick that tires were getting some side slop. Of if not wiped down well (or consistantly) and there was abit of humidity in the air, tires transitioning from dry to Pledge build-up, could have stuttered.

Tires could have picked up Pledge and then sat in staging for a few minutes - Pledge on the Pastic wheels might be quite a different effect than on wood.

A lot of 'who knows'. If they are careful to do each lane equally, and you run a Perfect-N - probably OK. However, if the time from when the first racers race is long from when teh last racers race (hours), then the drying of the track could impact those (faster OR slower) and not made for a equal comparison for something like Pack Champ award. Assuming no Grand Finals runoff.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

sporty wrote:He took first place and fastest of the pack. I took 1st place in open class and best of show
:goodjob:
sporty wrote:They decided to use pledge on the track 1 hour before the race. I feel it caused the cars to run slower.
Was the wood finished?

Our experience is that a lot of graphite, dust from the air, dirt, and debris end up on the track over the course of a derby. How much depends on the racing environment, but we have found ourselves dusting off the track as a matter of habit during a large / long derby to due to a visible build up of debris. I could imagine Pledge on a finished track attracting contaminants and making the track harder to keep clean? The fact that they felt compelled to use it on the track suggests that the track and/or environment already lacked cleanliness.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

sporty wrote:I will say, It was not the same. The glory was a bit lost. I think its not that fun for me anymore.
Pinewood Daddy wrote:I know all about PWD burnout.
A lot of our fun comes from anticipating an uncertain outcome. :sweating: :nervous: But with our cars having improved over the years, and also with strong local competition apparently waning over time (we are no longer in an area with district- or council-wide racing), the biggest uncertainty lately seems to be which sibling will take first place. :o Competing against ourselves seems less fun. :unsure:
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Pictures:

Track

more cars

trophy time:

Sporty
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Cool pics!

The series of track pics around 10th or 11th in the sequence show a REAL Piantedosi wood track.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
sirslotalot1
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by sirslotalot1 »

WOW!!!!! :clap: :bigups:

Way to go Sporty. I bet your kids had great fun. Is that your son in the white shirt getting the award??
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Yeps that's my son. Mom never seens to send his scout shirt with him, when he has events going on either, lol.

Sporty

Last edited by sporty on Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

sporty wrote:Mom never seems to send his scout shirt with him...
Well, from the photos it looks like he's not the only scout without one. :lol: :goodjob: