1st PWD results: 2nd in Pack, 1st in Unlimited Class

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
TimInOhio
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

1st PWD results: 2nd in Pack, 1st in Unlimited Class

Post by TimInOhio »

Well, thanks to everyone here on Derby Talk, my son finished 2nd in his Pack in his first PWD this past weekend. Running on a 42' Best Track in great shape, with rules requiring 4-on-the-floor, standard wheelbase, 5 oz. max weight, and stock wheels/axles, my son's car set a new track record on his first race (although bested twice throughout the course of the evening) of 3.00xx (the exact time escapes me at the moment). His best run was 2.99xx, which was the typical time of the car that won 1st in the Pack. He was running a rail-riding police car body shape, and due to the size/weight of the battery for the light bar, his COG was about 1.125 inches forward of the rear axle. I am confident that by moving the COG farther back towards the rear axle that he would have been even faster. The 1st place car was a low slightly wedge-shaped car that had a more aggressive COG.

In the Unlimited class, I took 1st place running a 3-wheeler, rail-riding, dog-boned shaped low flat body with RSNX wheels (on very lightly prepped needle axles) with a COG of 5/8" forward of the rear axle. My times were 2.8600, 2.8530, 2.8640, and 2.8610, for an average of 2.8595. The 2nd place car ran a 4-heat average of 2.8988 and the 3rd place car ran an average of 2.9888.

Thanks again to everyone here for the great advice!

TimInOhio