Sealer

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
46u

Sealer

Post by 46u »

What is a good normally locally easy to get sealer? I have 3 days to help my grandson get a car ready and was wondering if there is something I can get from places like Ace Hardware or Lowe's?
Thanks
Jeff
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Sealer

Post by FatSebastian »

46u wrote:What is a good normally locally easy to get sealer?
Here's a related topic. As mentioned there, we use Minwax sanding sealer from the local hardware store (applied with disposable foam brushes). Others on DT use it as well.
46u

Post by 46u »

I talked to a seller on eBay and he said he uses Bondo and red glazing putty.
Thanks!
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

thats allot of weight to add to the car.

But perhaps you are looking to go for looks and not speed.

Most of the time, good sanding and a filler primer works well, with 3 to 5 coats and then wet sand and it looks great when done. the only issue I ever had, is If I did not well enough to smooth the wood out, as a filler primer does fill the small imperfections, but not very deep ones.

In that case, wood filler works well. or wood putty. I like the powder kind, so I can mix up w water, to the amount and thickness I want. this works very well once you find a light paiste mix to go on light and yet thick enough to fill and smooth.

But yes, some use miniwax, some use laquer, a clear coat of laquer and then sand it. but doing so, does mean, the paint used has to be laquer that goes on top of it.

Many of the great looking cars that I did were just with a thinned wood filler and filler primer, sold at most stores, says filler primer on it.
46u

Post by 46u »

I am not going to use bondo or glazing putty I was just saying what someone told me. I am going for speed but not all out speed this year. Being my grandsons and I first time and short time we have to build it this year is more of a learning experience. I do not even have any idea what the track is like. One thing is for sure my grandson and I are going to have fun and the is the main objective. Anything else is a bonus. ;)
geauxturbo
Pine Head
Pine Head

Sealer

Post by geauxturbo »

We used glazer by bondo to fill the low spots. All in all with that, primer, base, and a ton of clear we came to .17 oz of painting material.