Pinewood Derby Car Carrying Case by Revell

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Pinewood Derby Car Carrying Case by Revell

Post by Noskills »

Any idea where one can get some packing foam if I dont have any old appliance boxes laying around. I just had the kids paint some old shoe boxes and tried to cut up some styrofoam. Huge mess and I am not happy with how it works.
Seth
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Noskills wrote:Any idea where one can get some packing foam if I dont have any old appliance boxes laying around. I just had the kids paint some old shoe boxes and tried to cut up some styrofoam. Huge mess and I am not happy with how it works.
Seth
Seth, you might try the shipping and reciveing dept at your local hospitals.
The one I work at is always thowing packing foams and boxes out.

or you could try:
http://www.uline.com/BL_873/Pick-And-Pack-Foam" target="_blank
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
having_wandered
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by having_wandered »

A sharp machete does a great job of slicing through the pink foam sheets. I made the front of our soapbox derby car with the stuff and of all the tools I experimented with, the machete did it the best.
~Not all who wander are lost.
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

Thanks Mark,

Also found http://www.foambymail.com/" target="_blank whick allows for small orders. I got the foam squares to customize the shape of the bottom of the car and a piece of egg crate for the top. It was about $15 plus shipping. Having the kids spray paint shoe boxes was a nice practice run for the cars too!

Seth
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

All,
Here is some follow up on the carrying case. We painted a nice shoe box and got some much needed practice. Also did a trial run of printing our clear decals. Ordered two types of foam from foambymail, the one with the little squares to custom cut and the egg crate. Was about $20 with shipping.
Here is box which is almost done. Used our model car to custom cut the foam (did not have a machete but used a carving knife)
Dig the zombie stickers 8)
Note the egg crate lid.
Wheel holes cut for an extended wheelbase car.
All closed up and ready to go. This came out so well I now want one myself. I got enough foam for 2 good ones and I can use the left over to make one for my car. This was both a cool project and very practical as I hear we do weigh in the day before the race and I think they just put all the cars in a plastic tub. Not these cars, they travel in style :bigups:
Noskills
Napoleon Dynamite
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Seth, You all did a good job with this project.
And I dig the zombie stickers.

Something I've offten wounderd about the car carrying boxes like this is the area for the wheels.

I noted: your nesting them down in the foam to keep them from rattleing around.
This might be a good thing to keep the graphite lube in the wheel bores while in transport. ;)
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
DerbyDash
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by DerbyDash »

Based on an earlier post regarding axles possibly being moved, if you are gluing the axles in place would there really be a risk to the car alignment if transported carefully using the foam?
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by rpcarpe »

Best Improvised Carry Case - 2 liter coke bottle.
A Dad cut the bottle in half, stuffed in some soft rags, place finished car in, joined the halves back together.
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.