Want to build my self a PWD car

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
46u

Want to build my self a PWD car

Post by 46u »

I want to build myself a PWD car for open class. I am thinking about this body, which has a recess for Tungsten Cubes with these wheels. The first one I build I want to be stock wheelbase with all 4 wheels touching so when I do others I can compare the difference. If I build it properly what sort of times do you think I can get out of it on a 42 foot best track? What do you think? An input will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Jeff
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Want to build my self a PWD car

Post by sporty »

Well,

It comes down to your tuning and build ability and axle and prep work.

And its going to depend on oil or graphite.

I'm sure you can get into the 2.95 range.

Sporty
46u

Post by 46u »

I hoping a bit better then that. I know 0.2 is quite a bit but the only car my grandson and I built so far in 3 days BSA legal is turning 3.14 now. There where some things I did not do to the time factor. What is the best time any one has turned on a 42 foot best track on a fully modified car?
Thanks
Jeff
drathbun
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by drathbun »

You might want to ask on a league board, as they're the ones that really push the envelope for modifications. Many scout derbies don't allow the type of mods you're talking about.
46u

Post by 46u »

drathbun wrote:You might want to ask on a league board, as they're the ones that really push the envelope for modifications. Many scout derbies don't allow the type of mods you're talking about.
I do not think any scout rules will let you run what I am talking about. Is there any way you can PM me a link to the sites you are talking about?
Thanks
Jeff
drathbun
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by drathbun »

There's a topic at the very bottom of this board with some links here. Have fun! :mrgreen:
46u

Post by 46u »

Yes those are the only two I know of as well. I have emailed the WIRL twice using the email address on their site but have not got a reply. They are about 100 miles from me.
Thanks
Jeff
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

in 2010 when I adult league raced you could see 2.91/2.92.

In 2010, I was the champ in two divisions. and took 3rd place at glue grass national championships.

Sporty
46u

Post by 46u »

Sporty that is fast! My hope next year with my grandson to get under 3. I was looking on PDWRacing and some of the best times 2.7272 fully modified but not sure what size track. I am guessing 42 feet. Stock class 2.8983.
Thanks
Jeff
5kidsracing
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by 5kidsracing »

46u wrote:Sporty that is fast! My hope next year with my grandson to get under 3. I was looking on PDWRacing and some of the best times 2.7272 fully modified but not sure what size track. I am guessing 42 feet. Stock class 2.8983.
Thanks
Jeff

Jeff,

We run on a 42 ft. BestTrack at the PWDR. You can't really compare times between different tracks. Hill angle, starting gate positions, timer switch positions, alignment, etc... all play a factor in the car times. Currently, the fastest racers run around 2.910 with Pure Stock cars which is closest to a Cub Scout type build. Stock cars which are similar only with lightened wheels run around 2.880. Cars like I run with needle axles run 2.830 and the fastest bearing cars run 2.820.

Scott
For my "Pinewood Story" go to: http://5kidsracing.webs.com/index.htm
46u

Post by 46u »

Scott,
I understand there are many variables just trying to get an idea and thanks for the input. Have been going to the PWDRacing forums in the last day and have been doing a lot of reading.
Thanks
Jeff