Help for a newbie

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Help for a newbie

Post by FatSebastian »

rderby wrote:no loose material such as a lead shot (?)
Lead shot = small granules of the soft, dense metal with the symbol Pb fired by a shotgun; e.g., buckshot. Basically this rule forbids cars that sound like a maraca.
rderby wrote:Only dry lubricants like teflon powder or graphite can be used
Okay - use graphite and stay away from Teflon (PTFE).
rderby wrote:They don't say anything about the slots so I don't know about that.
If the rules don't say that one must use the slots (the pre-cut grooves on the bottom of the block which can hold the nails), then one is usually free to drill holes for the axles. This should be discussed and illustrated in the book you picked up.
Shawn Stebleton
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Help for a newbie

Post by Shawn Stebleton »

Speedster wrote:Would you please explain the 5/8" and the stick?
The 5/8" should have been 5/16". Thanks for catching that.

I've recommended craft sticks to cubs/parents in our pack as a nice way to create wings on cars if the boys want them. They're easy to shape. If you cut off 5/16" the back, you will need 5/16" added in front. If you make a narrow front end from the front axle slot forward, you can place the craft stick wing crosswise and epoxy it in place. The craft stick seems more durable than pine does.

Our track's stop section has been beaten up over the years (an about 12-year old Piantedosi 3-lane wooden track with the foam piece held in place by two bolts and the rising rubber grips almost worn off) and the cars blast through the foam and strike the bolt pretty hard. We have used various things such as carpet remnants, coats, pillows, etc to be the stop, but some cars (my sons, especially) seem to get under some of them and still strike the bolt fairly hard. My sons have had some of their cars have the front end break when it was just pine. The craft stick survives a lot better. No broken cars when we use them.

I've been perusing this thread and am trying to come up with a better stopping section (than what we have) for the track. Comments on that should be put in that thread, please. Our Cubmaster is contemplating getting a new track, so the project may become moot.
Shawn