Graphite issue?

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
Derby87
Apprentice
Apprentice

Graphite issue?

Post by Derby87 »

Hello we are a newcomer to the site and find lots of very interesting topics on here id like to ask a few questions if i could get some help on our pack race was over the weekend and my son finished first in his den and off to districts we go we followed the steps of polishing the axles to 12,000 step by step and finished off with the 1 micron polish on the axles we are running all 4 matched mold of wheels we are not allowed to use oil just graphite we used the wheel bore polish for a few seconds like is recommended we have all 4 wheels touching the ground and 3/4 cog for a 32 ft wooden track but at districts we will run the 42 aluminum best track after a couple runs though still fast the rear end started to wiggle after the race noticed one of the adjustable rear weights moved could that have caused the wiggle or not enough wheel bore prep my boy graphited the axle wheels so they spun between 25 to 28 seconds which seems to be over the amount of 20 seconds can i get some help on this issue or what can be done to correct it thanks Derby87
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Graphite issue?

Post by sporty »

First, Let me address a few things here.

A spin test is not a indication if you have good wheels or not. Or the performance of them.

Some of the factors that should be looked at, ensureing the bore size on the wheels are all the same and the O.D. of the wheels are all the same.

The axle and bore prep, is not likely a issue of the wiggles.

Yes a weight moving on the car, could cause this, if it was loose enough to bounce on the car, but it would really effect the COG on the car, if the weight moved backward it could have created a stability issue.

However, You more than likely have a alignment issue. Either some toe in or tow out in one of the rear wheels or both.

Either missed it, but are you rail riding ? You can still rail ride with all 4 wheels down or were you trying to run strait ?

If you did not build or do a rail rider, then you could have the same issue in the front of the car (wheels as you might have in the rear)

The front wheels, if all 4 are on the ground and you did not do a rail rider, Then its very likely one of the wheels is again towed out or in or both (meaning both of the wheels have issues).

And if you did not have this issue but in the middle of a race, its very possible that a hard stop at the end of the track could have caused some damage to the front wheels , axle / meaning aligment and bent one or both.

Sporty
Derby87
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Graphite issue?

Post by Derby87 »

Thanks Sporty no didnt build a rail ride car all 4 wheels touching though would like to build a rail riding car and his car did have a hard stop at the end of the race as it jumped the track flipped over and and landed back on all 4 wheels might have caused the alignment to get out of line after that his times went slower but yet still was good enough to win in his pack though realize each lane could be faster of slower depending on the track just didnt know if graphite was the issue or lack of alignment or the weight coming loose