PWD stuff question

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

PWD stuff question

Post by Noskills »

Question:

How do you store all your PWD stuff (wheels, weights, wood etc.)

Also, how do you store your car while working on it? I have been rolling mine up in a cloth and placing in a plastic tub.

Noskills (Seth)
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: PWD stuff question

Post by FatSebastian »

Noskills wrote:How do you store all your PWD stuff (wheels, weights, wood etc.)
Many people report using tackle boxes to transport pit supplies to the races. We keep most everything organized within one rather large tackle box, not unlike this one. It stores in the closet during the off-season.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

I keep my work-in-progress cars in a small box. I keep my derby and craft supplies in larger boxes.

We tell the kids to bring a shoebox to keep their cars in during workshop season. We distribute the kits with the wheels and axles in a small ziplock bag.

Our derby track and electronics are stored in a custom-built plywood cabinet in the church attic. The derby tools (drill presses, bench sanders, work lights, paint booths, etc.) are also stored in the attic too.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

I have like 3 or 4 tackle boxes I use for all my stuff. I also buy celar containers with lids at wal-mart for storing the cars and wrap them up.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

I have a leather type carry-on bag with many separate compartments that holds everything that would enable me to build a car. I also keep Doc Jobe's big green book in it in case someone wants to discuss something. I take this to Pack races and our District race in case one of my scouts gets in trouble. My drill press, band saw, dremel, grinders, spray gun, sanders, etc., are in my garage along with my 2 tracks. I keep the electronics in a closet in my house. The cars under construction are kept in a small wood box that is built by the scout before he starts on his car. The car sits on a block inside the box to keep it off its wheels. The car is held down by a rubber band. If the scout drops the car in transport the box protects it from damage. Many scouts choose to paint and decorate the box to match their car and I encourage them to do that.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Speedster wrote:...
The cars under construction are kept in a small wood box that is built by the scout before he starts on his car. The car sits on a block inside the box to keep it off its wheels. The car is held down by a rubber band. If the scout drops the car in transport the box protects it from damage. Many scouts choose to paint and decorate the box to match their car and I encourage them to do that.
Your plan for this box would be a good addition to DT!
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Aron
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Aron »

I use an old video camera bag to carry the cars on race day. Works out nice because it is very well padded on the inside and has several compartments. Also has room to carry a few tools just incase
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Stan Pope wrote: Your plan for this box would be a good addition to DT!
Stan, you've got good eyesight! ;)

Now that were thinking inside the box.. what about the tool box also!(when it comes to storage)
Do any of you spray down your tools with a light coat of WD-40 or use moisture desiccant packs
for your derby worx tools to keep them from rusting while in storage in the plastic bags?

I'd hate to see you guys get rusty.. like me :mrgreen:

Check up on it if you haven't guys. #23 under the pro wheel shaver xt instructions.(for this tool only.)
Call it a tool box tip to keep that blade sharp and rust free. ;)

Whoda.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Indy
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Indy »

My son and I built this for his car last year from some old ceiling fan blades and scrap wood. The foam has cut outs so that the car is not resting on the wheels.

whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Wow!! Indy,

Now thats one cool looking car tote box.
:scratching: Old celing fan (blades) now that's Sharp!
I like the car seen in the photo also. :thumbup:
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

I'd love to send a picture of a box. I know this is off topic but maybe I can get a quick answer. I'm having trouble with tinypic. When I get to the point where I'm suppose to highlight the IMG line, it won't highlight and I'm stuck. Is it me or perhaps tinypic. If anyone else has another way to send pictures I'll be sure to watch for the topic, or email me. If you send me directions on sending pictures, please know that everyone else in the world knows more about computers than I do. Thanks.
Cheers
Bill
Indy
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Indy »

Speedster wrote:I'd love to send a picture of a box....
Something to try quickly. On Tinypic, click on the link and then then hit 'Ctrl' and 'A' at the same time - this should select the text and then you can Ctrl-C to copy it. Hope that helps.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

:offtopic: Now wait a sec.. guys. :thinking:
I think it's ctrl-c to copy & ctrl-v to paste.

But what ever you do.. ( do not ) forget to use a multiple image resizer.
And resize the images to 640x640 first.
I guess you could say....
I made History with this one.
Thanks to FS, & gpraceman. ;)

And if this make's me an Idiot.

(I) (D)id (I)t f(O)r (T)he Kids.

Whoda.
Lcamino
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Lcamino »

I have a dedicated workbench in the basement for all of my stuff. There are lots of storage bins, pegboard to hang tools etc. I built it so the work flows left to right. Starts with blank kits, pictures, drawings, then moves to cutting shaping tools, then building, gluing, details, LEDs, then on to paint, finishing, etc. On the right I have some shelves for finished cars. There is also a clear shower curtain that I can pull to cover all the tools and cars so I can paint on that same bench. Here is a pic.