wooden wheel derby

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
Scubersteve
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

wooden wheel derby

Post by Scubersteve »

The summer day camp my kids go to ran a derby last year as one of their weekly craft projects using wooden wheels and screws for axles. The bodies were just sections of 2x4 cut at an angle. They didn't perform very well as you could probably guess. I was only made aware of this project when my kids brought their cars home at the end of the week. I was a little appalled at the results and offered to help out with this years derby project.

We had 55 cars to build and a preset craft budget to work with and we just couldn't find plastic wheels cheap enough for our budget (cheapest we could find was just over $1 a set) so we had to go with wooden wheels again ( about $.30 a set). The wheels were 1.25" tall, 3/8" wide and had a 1/4" center hole which presented an interesting problem for axle selection. The kids only had about three hours during the week to work on their cars before the race on Friday, so we had to provide them with precut bodies. The guy in charge of the project decided on pick-up trucks for this year so we ripped 2x4s in half, cut out 55 truck bodies and painted them all gloss white so the kids could color them with markers and do the final assembly.
I got creative with the axle solution and chose to sleeve the wheels with sections of drinking straws and then use three small craft beads in each straw section as bushings to be able to use sheetrock nails as axles. I would have preferred nails without ridges, but these were all I could find with the right combination of small shank size to fit throught the beads and a head big enough to not fit throught the center hole of the wheel. It wasn't ideal, but it worked out ok.

I also whipped up a trophy from scrap wood and stuck one of the surplus wheels on the top. We used a borrowed 49' Besttrack and Corey Young's ppn speadsheet to keep track of the results. We ran a total of 63 heats in an hour (including a 4 way run off for 4th place and a top 4 run off to determine the winner). It all went very well and I'm already working on wheel/axle improvements for next year. I think we spent a total of $50 on this project which wasn't too bad.
If you don't take your fun seriously, who will?
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: wooden wheel derby

Post by whodathunkit »

Wooden wheel derby.

You know Scubersteve, the kids and you did a great job with these pickup trucks wooden wheels & all.

And it's not funny you say wooden wheel derby at all.

Because it's something I have often wondered about..
(If some of the first PWD cars used wooden wheels?)

History tells us from the writeings and photos that they were 1 1/4 diam plastic wheels purchased from a craft/hardware store.

But history also tells us there was a race held out side of Cub Scouting at
Griffith park on March 17, 1954.(were there kits for this race?)
And history also tells us that in early 1955.
The Parks Dept kits were made and available at over 100 city playgrounds ,
for the 1955 Los Angeles Pinewood Derby Championships.
But it also said nothing of the wheel type used in these kits.

Just something to ponder thoughts over.. and about wooden wheel derby cars.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Scubersteve,

I did a little more research on the 1954 Los Angeles Parks & Recreation
Pinewood derby races and the kits used back then.
With a little luck..
I did run run across this pwd kit mfg, that talks about the kits and wheel type used.
At S&W Crafts, Mfg.
http://www.pinewoodderbycars.com/aboutus.asp" target="_blank

Mark
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by rpcarpe »

Cool project! Way to go.
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.