90 Days Left!

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: 90 Days Left!

Post by FatSebastian »

J.Stein wrote:Surprised I haven't seen more chatter on the forum...
sporty wrote:I think many who come do not post, but view all the articles and posts on here.
Ah! Makes perfect sense. I know my term searches on the forum have taking me back to posts that were years old.
Two-thirds of registered members of Derby Talk only have made two or fewer posts, with almost half having never posted anything. That doesn't count the innumerable number of lurkers who will never register. Not to mention, there are other derby-related resources online, such as forums, blogs, and newsletters...

The playing field is more level than ever before. BSA wheels have improved substantially, requiring less work. The scout shop now stocks all kinds of specialized tools, tungsten weights, and informative books that didn't exist a decade ago. Therefore, it would not surprise me if kid's racing has reached a temporary plateau, or saturation point, if you will. Most families are limited regarding how much time and money they can invest into a toy derby car (or Scouting in general); a "normal" family could spend an entire Cub-Scouting "career" improving off of historic DT information and other sources without ever posting. Innovations that showed (or promised) a lot of benefit, like liquid lubes, "rail-riding", the new BSA wheels, etc., created a lot of on-line "chatter" in recent years that has naturally waned. There will always be something to talk about of course, but it may take the "next big thing" to re-create earlier levels of buzz.
sporty wrote:But I have heard locally in my area, many packs are down in numbers there year. it does happen. seems to be a cycle.
:( I wonder if the depressed economy may be a factor.