Most power tools motors spin in a clock wise rotation..

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Most power tools motors spin in a clock wise rotation..

Post by whodathunkit »

Most power tools motors made spin in a clock wise rotation inless you have a reverseing switch.

Take for instance a drill press or a dremel tool. ETC..

Now if we were to look at the passenger side of a car the wheels rotate in a clock wise rotation
where the driver side rotate in a counter clock wise rotation.
(While the car is moving forward..)

Today many builders proably polish axles or wheel bores or true up the wheels
in a clock wise manner only.

(Just out of curiosity what about them little spurs or shavings left in rotation direction?)

Is there any speed to be gained to preping axles or wheels and bores in this manner..
of CW-R or CCW-R for the right & left hand sides of the car?

Just thought I'd open this one up for some thoughts and some insight.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Most power tools motors spin in a clock wise rotation..

Post by sporty »

I'm trying to recall some past testing and what I currently do.

Now, this is not going to completely answer your questions.

I cut wheels on mini lathe, but I cut from right to left. may cut from left to right.

I have done both and I get less run out, going from right to left and here is why I think I get less run out this way.

1- the back side of the wheel, as I place me wheels with the front /hub into the mandrell, so the rear hub is facing out.

Now, I think the reason I get better results and less run out, is simply this.

the thicker front, provides less give in the plastic, its more rigid there with the front side wall (the fake spokes and raised bsa letters).

which absorbs less of the shock, when you first start to cut.

The back side, is thinner and no backing there, and seems to absorb, flex a tad to reduce the initial shock when you start to cut. There fore providing less run out. Then cutting from the other direction.

As for bore prep and axle polish. when i tried it and reall do dont have to run in reverse, ect, just flip the wheel around.

Because what you are really asking, is correlating the direction the wheels spin on the car, with the prepping rotaion of the prep work.

In a way, yes it can matter, however. I found that in order to it to really matter. it means that you have not done enouch prep work or polishing on those surfaces.

So, the impact, only comes from, less then steller polishing / prepping.

Once you are beyond the point of prep and polish, ect. that gets into the 1 micron level and lower. there is no impact that I can tell buy track times. related to what you are asking.

Now, where I have seen the biggest impact, is when you apply your graphite. This is largely due to graphite being loose and not a solid. and I recommend a forward finger flick spin, lightly before the race, just after you have applied the graphite.

If not, you can see a run or maybe two a little slower. as the graphite compresses and forms the layer that the axle and wheel bore are going to make contact with one another.

In a nut shell, if you spun your wheels backwards instead of forward after a graphite application, the times will be different, not as fast. compared to forward spin.

The impact can be minor or more pronounced. depending on how you apply and coat and if you add to much graphite in the first place into the wheel bores.

I tinkered with bore prep and ect, with one side of the wheels, doing clock wise and the other side of the car wheels, counter clock wise.

As many builders at some point will begin to ask and try these type of things.

I do not recall the results of doing that, but I have not done that for several years. So it must not have made a differance, with in relationship to the good axle and bore prep i used or did.

Sporty