Magnetizing graphite versus adding a + or - charge

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
Rfieldbuilds
Journeyman
Journeyman

Magnetizing graphite versus adding a + or - charge

Post by Rfieldbuilds »

So, my sons second PW derby is next weekend. He took first place in the Tiger race last year and was only beat by one other racer in the overall standings- his twin sister. Both cars were similar in design and received the same axel and wheel treatments. Basic tips from this forum-outside of pouring molten lead into hogged out areas. Std cordless drill used to prep axels. We performed no tuning or alignment mods. Even (arggh, I can hear the shudders as others will read this) hammered in the axels. We had the unintended consequence of having one front wheel raised. So who knows maybe we were lucky and had an unintentional RR's I guess we just got lucky!!!

Anyways, all eyes are on us in the local pack races this year. So Ive been looking to see how we can make a few improvements over last years cars. Tuning, alignment etc all seem obvious. We use slots as we cannot drill our holes. Will have to work within those constraints. .
So, I was thinking...
Random thought. Wondering if applying an electric charge to wheels or axels might help graphite better stick to the wheel bore or the axel. Any ideas?
I have seen posting regarding negative charges on wheels causing collection of dust from the track.
Also on the same vein, thinking a magnetic charge could possibly offer the same end result. Has this ever been researched or discussed.

And yes, I have tried searching these topics to no avail.

Any knowledge of these topics would be greatly appreciated...
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Magnetizing graphite versus adding a + or - charge

Post by sporty »

K,

I have tried magnatizing the axles, to have the graphite / molly mix stick it.

It does not work and if it did, there is no gain in doing it.

So, perhaps just focus in on better alignment, less wood-more weight and better axle and wheel prep.

Sporty
Rfieldbuilds
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Rfieldbuilds »

Sporty, Thanks for the prompt reply. Ill skip the magnet experiment as I dont want to do anything that will have detrimental effects. Do you feel a negative charge on the plastic wheels would act to attract dust and unwanted debris from the track?

Also, do you feel graphite moly is a better choice for a polished axel than straight graphite?

Last years cars:
Yes, my sons was accidentallyncut out backwards. Still beat ALL other scouts in our pack.

This years hopefulls. Girls=red-gold. Sons gold. Daddies is ratrod...10oz extreme. Will have BSA slicks on back and cutdown pizza cutters on front

Image[/img]
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

many of the fasest cars out there, do not do this, because it does not really work.

Many people focus on good axles, polished axles and wheel bore and prep work and true wheels. then canting, rail riding, ect are all keys to a fast car.

I prefer hobb-e-lube, and I burnish with hodges graphite.

A 2nd is max-v graphite.

Sporty
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

:welcome: Rfieldbuilds
Rfieldbuilds wrote:do you feel graphite moly is a better choice for a polished axle than straight graphite?
Just in case you haven't seen this post about molybdenum blends...