Sportys bore prep.

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Sportys bore prep.

Post by sporty »

So I know some of you have used it the past few years and some are doing it this year.

My post I had created, about it, is now many pages. So i just started a new post.

To see how are you doing with it ? like it ? moved on to something else ? is it still working for you ?

Just interested in some feed back, if you tried it and felt it was better then what you were doing,

sporty
Ickabod Crane
Journeyman
Journeyman

Re: Sportys bore prep.

Post by Ickabod Crane »

Hello Sporty,
I'm new to this board and am trying to learn all I can. I keep reading about your bore and axel prep but cannot find the exact details. We have our pack derby in early March and would like to experiment. Would you be so kind to point me in the right direction?
Thanks,
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

Wow! Two "Ickabods" on DT!
Ickabod Crane wrote:Would you be so kind to point me in the right direction?
It is a popular question. Look here for the full story, and here for a summary.
Ickabod Crane
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ickabod Crane »

Thank you! I'm going to try and run down the carbon fiber rod if possible. I have the micro mesh in hand. Right now I just use a micro polish. I'm new to this so I don't know what is a fast time on a 40' track or what it will take to be competitive. Thanks again.
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

Sporty - I have tried many different methods to polish the bore - your procedure takes a bit more time but in my opinion produces a much shinier "black glass" finish. I haven't done any testing - and don't always use your method exclusively - but it does work well. If I don't use your method - I use the q-tip/Novus method. A comparison of bores shows that your method makes a shinier bore.
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

Another post made me remember that I did modify your process slightly. Instead of putting the bore rod into a drill and having it turn in a stationary wheel - I chuck the wheel int a drill press (chuck on the outer bore) and insert the bore rod into the rotating wheel. This allows me to keep the micromesh seam off the bore. I start by inserting the rod such that the area opposite the seam (6'oclock position) is polishing and as i slide the rod in and out I roll the bore rod between the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock position. I was easier for me to use the bore rods this way.
Ickabod Crane
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Ickabod Crane »

Can you point me to a video of Sporty's Bore and axel prep? I think I have a good idea of what the process is but would love to see it in action.