Bushy Run District Champion 2013!

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
Shawn Stebleton
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Bushy Run District Champion 2013!

Post by Shawn Stebleton »

I just posted the top 5 times in your thread here.

My wife and older son were up in the "balcony" just off screen to the left in the pic of the general area. They couldn't see the track too well, either.

You can see where I was for my son's races, but I let others in for their boys' races.
Shawn
Shawn Stebleton
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

I was finally able to play back the video I took. I had set up a camcorder behind the finish line. Unfortunately, the two Boy Scouts manning the stop section kept bending over to hold a carpet/towel used in stopping the cars and blocked the view of the approaching cars most of the time.

The final alignment tweak we did a couple of nights before the district race really paid off. Watching the video was nice confirmation. On the first heat, I could see my son's car getting to the curve first by a noticeable amount. On his second and third heats, they were closer. I heard the emcee describing each race and for my son's races it went like this:

Isaac's 1st heat (lane 3):
"3-2-1. Isaac with a great time of 2.863." [3-2-1 refers to the lane order of finish.]

Isaac's 2nd heat (lane 2):
"Isaac pulls ahead there on the straightaway. Another great time of 2.859."

Isaac's 3rd heat (lane 1):
"Isaac picks up speed on that straightaway. 2.888 seconds."

I know the cars can't pick up speed on the flat--it just slowed down less and/or had more speed coming out of the bottom of the curve. I suspect both.

Thanks again to Stan for for your encouragement on us getting the rear alignment right. I was afraid that it might not have been "close enough", but it was.
Shawn
Shawn Stebleton
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

I finally started a YouTube account. Here are videos of his 2nd and 3rd heats. Sorry, but I don't have one of his first heat.

2nd heat. His car is in lane 2 the middle of the 3 lanes in use:

https://youtu.be/

3rd heat. His car is in lane 1 on the right from the camera's viewpoint:

https://youtu.be/
Shawn
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Shawn Stebleton wrote:Thanks again to Stan for for your encouragement on us getting the rear alignment right. I was afraid that it might not have been "close enough", but it was.
You're welcome! Rear axle alignment is difficult, so congrats on "getting it right!"
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
tmack
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by tmack »

OK Shawn, its about that time..... 2014 season!!
Time to talk a little pre-PWD smack :lol:
They say back to back championships is tough...lose the hunger...what say you?

Tommy and I will be rolling out STRYKKER's REVENGE ....be afraid....be very afraid :eek:

Seriously, good luck, hope to hear from you guys soon.
Tom
Shawn Stebleton
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Good to hear from you! Isaac got his kit at the December pack meeting. He hasn't started his car yet, and is toying with going for design instead of speed. I'm not good with the design aspect of it (not even close to the average ones here!!) and have told him so. He doesn't have the artistic flair, either (runs in the family) so I think he'll end up going for speed.

Back-to-back is tough. But he's following a three-peat champion and knows he can't do his own three-peat, as this is his final year. He's got a good attitude, though. If someone else wins, he'll be OK with that. He came in 12th and 2nd for RJ's last 2 of his three-peats before getting his 1st last year. At least he has been improving. Not sure how to improve on #1, though.

Are you planning on coming to the Pinewood Derby Fun Day? It's on January 11th. I'm planning on being the router guy again, so if you make it stop on by.
Shawn