Bushy Run District Champion 2013!

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
Shawn Stebleton
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Bushy Run District Champion 2013!

Post by Shawn Stebleton »

My son won 1st place in the 2013 Bushy Run District PWD race. He bested 69 other entrants. The car was a railrider with COG at 0.5", used slots, but the back was cut off and added to the front. Drift was set at about 8" in 4'. I know that is a bit high, but we didn't know for certain what kind or condition of track we would be running on. I hope to get pictures online soon.

The track was a Best Track with the old curve section and was about 35' or 42' long. I forgot to count the number of sections. :paperbag: The curve piece was about 7' long with a very small radius at the beginning of the section. The curve itself is not a single continuous curve but has about 3 mini bends with mini straight sections within it, all within a very short space. Strange. At least this year the track was aligned well, without any cars hitting a bad joint, like last year. It was the same pack's track as last year.

It was a lane rotation format on 3 lanes, with the lowest cumulative time winning. I need to go through the video and get his times yet, but he was one of a handful that got under 2.900" per run.

He was VERY surprised, as he wasn't keeping track of his times vs. the others. He actually thought that he hadn't won anything after hearing 5th through 2nd place winners announced. He did have fun during the racing, which is definitely important. ;)

Thanks Stan for giving me assurance on his shim of the left rear axle and how it made the car roll easier. It went down the hill quickly, beating his opponents to the start of the transition every time, and pulled away down the stretch, with nary a wiggle.

Thanks to all (way too many to acknowledge individually who have helped over the last few years with techniques, concepts, and suggestions. Our build process has improved.

The most fun was the build, as I had inherited my dad's old Dremel Moto-Shop scroll saw. It was the first power tool I ever used when my dad helped me build my Pinewood Derby cars way back when. I fixed it up and showed it to my son. I said "We need to cut some rectangular holes for your weights." He said "But we would have to cut through the side, and that would ruin the car. It can't work." He was thinking. :thumbup: I said "But I have a trick!" His ears perked up and he watched me drill two holes, one in front of the rear axle area and one behind. I then removed the blade from the scroll saw, threaded it through the front hole,... His eyes widened in realization and said "I didn't know you could do that!" After mounting the blade back in the saw, I put his hands on his car and mine on his, and together we cut the hole, very slowly, with me explaining what we were doing and why. We repeated the process for the other hole. Of course we did other work together, including working the axles and wheels. He did all the painting.

I have fond memories of building my Pinewood Derby cars with my dad, even though I never won a race. I hope my boys have fond memories when they're my age of me helping them build their cars. To me, that's what this is all about. 8)
Shawn
Shawn Stebleton
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Bushy Run District Champion 2013!

john4840--It was good to meet up with you and your son. I know mine can't win 1st three consecutive years like yours did, but he can go for a 3rd 1st place next year. If there was a Pinewood Derby Merit Badge, I know your son would be the first to earn it!
Shawn
pgosselin
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pgosselin »

Congrats to your son, Shawn. And great story about the scroll saw.

Paul
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

Shawn,
Congrats. That was a fun story. Thanks for sharing.
Seth
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
john4840
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by john4840 »

Shawn Stebleton wrote:john4840--It was good to meet up with you and your son. I know mine can't win 1st three consecutive years like yours did, but he can go for a 3rd 1st place next year. If there was a Pinewood Derby Merit Badge, I know your son would be the first to earn it!
It was nice meeting up with you too Shawn. We had great time. Your son and you did a great job on the car!! I am sure your son will do good next year too. :bigups:

My son thanks you for the compliment, but we were inspired on our car designs from your older son's car at the 09 district race. It pointed us in the right direction to get us to the highest level. We thank you and your son. :D

John
Shawn Stebleton
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Here is a picture of my son with his car and trophy:

They thought the picture session was over before I got my camera ready:
The design trophies were of a different design as the speed ones, but they were as tall as 1st place speed. The two Webelos in the center holding their cars were the design winners.

The venue was a shopping mall center court:
The cubs are in the "bullpen" and are called up to the starting area when their heats are run. Parents are behind and on the upper floor looking down.

It appears there are 5 sections of running track followed by the stopping section. Does that look about right? If so, then it is about 35' long. Those more familiar with this type of track can visualize it better than I can.

The left-most lane (closest to the cubs) was unused, as the sensor did not work. It also appeared that the lane itself may have been damaged. I thought I saw a dent in it. This is the same track as was used last year, and the event was run on the same 3 lanes then.
Shawn
Shawn Stebleton
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Here are some more pictures of his car:

From the side:
Shawn
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

Nice and thin. How did you glue fpthe front end on? Wood glue and clamps? That would make me nervous with such a skinny front end.
Seth
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Congrats Shawn,

What a cool looking paint job..
I like how the brush strokes show threw in the blue paint and fades to red on the car.
I tryed useing this paint technique once myself on PT-Cruiser.
You can see the brush stroke technique also. ;)

Whoda.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Shawn Stebleton
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Noskills wrote:How did you glue the front end on? Wood glue and clamps? That would make me nervous with such a skinny front end.
Two-part epoxy. Use a craft stick (tongue depressor-sized). With the epoxy all over it it's much more durable than pine. It's a front "bumper" so it's OK. A plunge router can get the perfect depth to match the top.

If you cut your own slots in a slice off the top of the block, just make them in the places you want. Then you don't even have to worry about cutting anything off the back. ;)
Shawn
Shawn Stebleton
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Some people have wondered how we got the car so light--down to 0.25oz (6.7g). Here are some pics of the underside showing the extra wood in the middle of the side was cut even further with the Dremel 655 keyhole router bit. You can see how it leaves more wood at the bottom edge of the wall while undercutting it in the middle of the side.

From the back end looking toward the front:

From the side:

Next year I hope to take pictures of the build process as we do it. Especially on how thin the wood is.

I suppose we should have gotten rid of some of the extra epoxy where we goofed. The extra weight could have been removed without damaging the structure. The car would have been even lighter. :mrgreen:

Even though the car is very light, it is relatively strong. Pressing down on the non-dom front wheel to where it hits the ground lifts the diagonally opposite rear axle off the bore. It almost lifts the wheel off the ground. My older son's 2009 (Webelos II) car did not do that. When the non-dom wheel was pressed down, the body twisted enough that the rear axle didn't even lift off the bore.
Shawn
Shawn Stebleton
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Here is a cropped frame from video I shot with my cell phone. My son's car is in the center of the 3 lanes in use. This run was his best of the day--in fact the best of the day for the entire contest. The green car in lane 1 (right side from camera vantage point) had his worst run in this same heat. I didn't get my son's first heat, but the green car was closer at the finish by quite a bit. He finished in 51st place out of 70, to give some perspective. He was our pack's 2nd place car, but didn't do so well here. The 2nd place car here had his best run in this heat, and he finished in 23rd place.

Times of the three cars for this heat:
Lane 1 (3rd pl): 3.006
Lane 2 (1st pl): 2.859
Lane 3 (2nd pl): 2.935

There was 0.076 diff from 1st to 2nd.
There was 0.071 diff from 2nd to 3rd.
Can you tell from this angle which difference was closer to one car length?
Shawn
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by rpcarpe »

Sounds like great racing, very close. Glad you guys enjoyed it.
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.
MOFAST
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by MOFAST »

Great job! I enjoyed the pictures very much! Excellent pictures of the routed areas. I would have messed it up. Over 4 ounces of weight added looks hard to do.
tmack
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by tmack »

Great Job Shawn! Tommy took 3rd!...far left (camera left that is) on the group photo above ..car 67. We were extremely happy.
Please post the top 5 times if you could! I couldn't even see the cars run down the track from where I was. They need staduim seating lol.
Tom