1st in Bears!

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
MOFAST
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

1st in Bears!

Post by MOFAST »

My boys finished 1st in Bears, 2nd in Wolves! My Bear never lost a race or had a close one!

Little brother's car was faster but didn't matter, he still got second in Wolves. It was such close racing, it broke his little heart! Set the track record a couple of times and then in the finals his competitors car broke loose and really ran away with it, setting a track record in 4 consecutive runs. We did the times racing for the first time and I am not sure I like it, still undecided.

Our cars were much faster than last year when both boys got first, our competition was a lot tougher though. Overall, I thought the derby went well.
Topspin.D
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: 1st in Bears!

Post by Topspin.D »

Congratulations! Can you post pictures and information on the cars?
pgosselin
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pgosselin »

Congratulations, those are still great results.

My youngest son raced in a Den that was very competitive for four years. So I know how your wolf feels. My son came out on top twice and finished third and fourth in the other two. The three fastest cars were often in our den, yet only one could advance to the finals. Heartbreaking for the 2nd and 3rd place scouts in the den.

While I hated to see my son lose, the two years in the wilderness were good for his moral development. He learned that he wasn't always going to come out on top and how to be more empathetic to other scouts once he was back up on top. It also made him want to work harder to build a winner.

Just by being here and learning you're increasing your boys' chances immensely.

Paul
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

It's also nice not to totally dominate a pack. Mix it up a little bit and stay hungry. We didn't place in the top 3 in Tigers last years and won the pack this year. Yet my leader buddies tell me now they are gunning for us- half joking but have serious. I am excited to see the pack as a whole improve.
Seth
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
MOFAST
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by MOFAST »

Topspin.D wrote:Congratulations! Can you post pictures and information on the cars?
I will post pictures later. Both cars were rail riders, all parts from the kit, hob-e-lube graphite. Derby Worx bore prep. Axle prep step by step from 400 grit sand paper to 8000 paper and then polishing cream. Had to use the slots, only slight sanding of wheels allowed. Ran on a 42 foot best track with times right at the 3 second mark. I know a lot do it faster, but for our pack this was fast. Everything came from the box. I would be interested in times from some other scout families where all parts from the kit are used and no liquid lube. Standard slots of course.
MOFAST
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by MOFAST »

I know all tracks are different and how well they are put together makes a difference. I think ours was put together pretty well and leveled.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

When you start sanding the axle with 400 grit and go through all the other grits, what does the diameter of the axle measure when you are finished?
MOFAST
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by MOFAST »

We measured the axles with a digital caliper, it's been several weeks ago and I think they measured .86 but I'd have to ask my neighbor.
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by rpcarpe »

I think what Speedster considers is the final loss of diameter from over sanding the axles?

I now have the kids countdown from 15-0 while they polish with each grit, avoids having needle axles after an hour of 400 wet/dry.

You and the kids have done very well, keep up the good work!
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.
MOFAST
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by MOFAST »

Took me long enough to post pics but better late than never!
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

MOFAST, you are the man I am looking for.
Our rules sound like yours. Slots have to be used, nails must be entirely visible, axles have to be inserted straight, wheels have to be straight up an down, 4 on the ground, yada, yada, yada.

Here's what I'd like you to do. Send me your fastest car. I will pay for return shipping, Priority Mail. I will run your car down Lane 1 of my track, 5 times. I will then run my car down Lane 1 of the track. I'll make sure both cars are warm when I take them to my garage so no car has an unfair advantage. If you're running a 3 wheeler I'll lift one of my wheels. I also use Hob-E-Lube. This will be a great test on my lousy axle prep. If interested, email me. If you decide not to, I fully understand. These cars are very precious.
Cheers,
Bill
MOFAST
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by MOFAST »

Speedster- Send your car to Mid-America, we'll be there! They post the results. The cars aren't mine to send, they belong to my children. PM me if you want track times
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

I'll be there. However, I'll be running in the Adult Division with 1.8 gram wheels. My stock wheels were used to race the winning cars in our Pack after Official Racing is over. The kids always want to see if they can beat "The Old Man".
Great to hear your sons will be competing. I'll watch for them. BEST OF LUCK.