Mid America

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
JSG
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Mid America

Post by JSG »

Anyone going this year? I was thinking of working with my son on a car for it. Rules are a little different than our pack's race. Looks like an extended wheel base with more extreme wheels would be in order. Might be kind of fun to watch it online.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Mid America

Post by FatSebastian »

Murph said they might be there?
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Im retired and will not be sending anything.

Double check the rules. i was upset last year when I discovered you could run 18 gram wheels and I think some ran even less than that. I ran 2.2 gram wheels. Its hard to be compitive with that differance.

So if they are allowing and running those lighter wheels again, Get them too.

Sporty
rkibby
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by rkibby »

Greg revised the website yesterday to reflect the new classes. Its nice to see they will have Qualified scout class. My son and I will bring our cars, and I'm building a Stock class car to run in the Pro division. Should be a great time. Its nice I live only little over an hour away.

sent from somewhere in the cornfields of mild earth
Ickabod
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Ickabod »

My family and I will be there. My son (bear) will be running in the district race in April and will hopefully qualify for the qualified scout division. If not, he will run in the open scout division. My wife and I will run in the open adult division and my other 3 sons will run in the open kids division. I noticed that the open scout and open kids divisions can run oil this year, but the open adult and qualified scout division will run graphite. It should be interesting. I might try and run oil on one of my young son's car to try and experiment. It all depends on how much time I have.
There are only two seasons: baseball season and The Void. - Jonathan Yardley
rkibby
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by rkibby »

what district do you live in?

Also about the oil, you might want to look at the rules again. It says Qualified scouts, Open kids and Open Adult is graphite only. Oil is Open scout only and Pro divisions.

good luck, we will be at Council this year as well and can't wait.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

I want to add in a bit more, for all of you.

Sometimes I forget to mention or add in, some additional information.

This is a pretty awesome race, Lots of goodies to win, lots of trophies. and Good people running it, who do their best. Its a first class race.

I would certainly suggest, for those you who are tossing the idea around, To enter a car or cars. Read the rules well and mail off some cars and watch it live over the internet.

For those that can attend, you have a chance at some pretty amazing door prizes.

Don't be affraid, try it out.

Sporty
xanthrum
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by xanthrum »

Thank you Sporty... we try - it is truely a race that is centered around and for the Cub Scout... Kids and Family - we had people that came to the event from all over the country last year... besides some great pinewood derby racing the http://www.midamericaderby.com has a fun filled day - with over $15,000 in prizes that we give to the entrants, amazing door prizes, concessions, mascots from all the local sports team, we even had "the Godfather" from Godfathers Pizza sing the National Anthem... we have a separate track set up so the kids can build LEGO cars and race for fun, Automotive Safety Patch (put on by Gregg Young Cheverolet) ... and we have some Awesome new things in store for 2013 -- With all of your support -- we can make this race into what is known as the Nationals for Cub Scouts!!!
Greg Dawes
Mid-America Pinewood Derby
http://www.midamericaderby.com
midamericaderby@yahoo.com
(402) 659-1714
Oddzilla
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Oddzilla »

You can mail cars out for this? Sweet!
Ickabod
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Ickabod »

rkibby wrote:what district do you live in?
Soaring Eagle district
rkibby wrote:Also about the oil, you might want to look at the rules again. It says Qualified scouts, Open kids and Open Adult is graphite only. Oil is Open scout only and Pro divisions.
You are correct. Hopefully my scout will qualify at district so we won't have to deal with oil.
rkibby wrote:good luck, we will be at Council this year as well and can't wait.
Good luck to you also! The more races we can race, the better. Just fuels the derby fever!
Ickabod
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Ickabod »

sporty wrote:I want to add in a bit more, for all of you.

Sometimes I forget to mention or add in, some additional information.

This is a pretty awesome race, Lots of goodies to win, lots of trophies. and Good people running it, who do their best. Its a first class race.

I would certainly suggest, for those you who are tossing the idea around, To enter a car or cars. Read the rules well and mail off some cars and watch it live over the internet.

For those that can attend, you have a chance at some pretty amazing door prizes.

Don't be affraid, try it out.

Sporty
Sporty is correct, as usual. Being there first hand last year was a blast! My 4 boys enjoyed themselves a lot. We got a lot of goodies also. Mini tape measures, 3 tungsten putties, 2 set of pro wheels, 3 sets of axles, and a wheel mandrel just to name a few of the things in the bags. We also won a free entry to PWDR race AND a best track single lane timer!

Not to mention the racing and seeing some of the amazingly fast cars!
rkibby
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by rkibby »

That sounds Awesome. I know my two boys can't wait. This will be my first time getting to council. I see they will have a spot for kids to build Lego derby cars, my cubmaster bought 10 pairs of those wheel kits for the pack. the kids will get a huge kick out of those.

Shawn Stebleton
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Shawn Stebleton »

rkibby wrote:I see they will have a spot for kids to build Lego derby cars, my cubmaster bought 10 pairs of those wheel kits for the pack. the kids will get a huge kick out of those.
I haven't seen them, but another cubmaster said he had gotten them for the sibling race for his pack. The nuts came off and went everywhere. :O He wondered why there were 8 of them in the package. I suggested that each axle end needed two nuts instead of one. They were so you could tighten the 2nd nut up against the 1st nut on the shaft. It made sense to him. If they're what I'm thinking they are, give that a try and let all of us know how it works.
Shawn
TedBull
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by TedBull »

Oh Boy. I will not be attending but will have two Proxy entries. One for myself and one for my son. I plan to run the modified class.

The rules seem simple enough but I do have a couple questions.

1. Sporty mentioned a previous years wheel weight allowance, but I could not find a mention of that in the rules. Will my Derby Worx 4041 X-Lite wheels be legal? If so what is the best lubrication for those wheels riding on the nickle speed axles?

2. No mention of chassis material? Does that mean other materials than wood are allowed? I doubt I will stray from a wood block but it would be good to know.

Thanks guys.
birddog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by birddog »

I plan to ask my kids this week if they would like to mail in some cars for this race. I think it would be fun.

Our district doesn't allow extended wheel base cars, so this might be an excuse to build another car or two (or three)!

birddog