Mid America

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
pgosselin
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Mid America

Post by pgosselin »

Those were good answers, Greg. Great point about the graphite, wheels and other elements discouraging the league racers from entering certain categories. Hadn't thought of that. Mid America looks like a fun event and my son and I are looking forward to it via proxy.

Paul
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

pgosselin wrote:Those were good answers, Greg.
Agree. Thanks!

I think the idea of a specific "Mentor" category would be nifty; that is, each car in the mentor category is checked in with a corresponding Scout car and mentors races against other mentors. Perhaps some kind of points system could be devised across the Scout and Mentor categories where a separate award could be given to the fastest Mentor/Scout pair. Just thinking out loud here...
xanthrum
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by xanthrum »

I like that idea Sebastian.... that is what it is all about. Mentor and Scout building cars together...
Greg Dawes
Mid-America Pinewood Derby
http://www.midamericaderby.com
midamericaderby@yahoo.com
(402) 659-1714
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I thought a "pro" got paid. :scratching: IMO, that term just doesn't apply to this type of racing. The term "expert" seems to better represent the requisite knowledge and experience.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

I've enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts. There are rules in the Open Adult Division and I suspect there will be very knowledgeable inspectors. I'm hoping there will be a lot of folks like Sporty entering this Division so I can determine how much faster a car can go than the ones I'm entering. We all start with a block of wood and then don't use much of it. We have 4 wheels and all the lettering needs to be there. I suspect no stainless steel, or some other exotic metal, will be allowed for axles. The only person I see with any advantage at all is "Sporty" because of his close ties with NASA. Hopefully the graphite he's using is not flammable.
Yours in Going Downhill Fast,
Speedster
MOFAST
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by MOFAST »

I intend to race in the adult class. I have never raced in any of the leagues, I do however go to the other forums regularly. I have seen talk about Mid-America on those forums, but only with the intent of the users racing in the Pro-Class. It is my opinion that the pros only want to race other pros.

They only improve by racing the best racers. We (non-pros) are probably not going to put a $100+ in parts and tons of hours testing. I think Greg has created the perfect blend of races and offers something for everyone! I can only imagine the time he spends just answering questions, let alone on planning and coordinating.

Fellow adult racers, I'm sure I'll get smacked down when the racing starts but like a Scout I will do my BEST!

Anyone in the KC area that wants to test/tune on a 42 foot Best track, we will be setting it up a couple weeks before Mid-America. Send me a PM with your email and I'll let you know when we have it ready. If someone smokes us at a test/tune, it just gives us an idea of what we need to improve. I would like the opportunity for more experienced builders to give some helpful advice and maybe the opportunity for me to help someone else.

Dave
JSG
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by JSG »

How does re-lubing work if a proxy racing Scout makes it to the finals? Does someone re-lube for them or do the ones who are present get to re-lube while the proxy racers don't?
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

JSG wrote:How does re-lubing work if a proxy racing Scout makes it to the finals? Does someone re-lube for them or do the ones who are present get to re-lube while the proxy racers don't?

I forget when they can relube, but if you are a proxy, racer, you would send you lube with and instructions and one of the people there would do there best to apply it and do it the way that you want it done. versus the people attending and doing there own cars.

Now, i sent my car in last year, never had them relube it and took 4the place. and the most important part is good shipping, so that all the graphite that you put in, does not fall out during shipping. But i think they might be willing to add some when the car arrives too.

Sporty
knotthed
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by knotthed »

My family is looking forward to sending in some cars. I got a nudge from Sporty and discussed it with my son and he was excited about doing it, so we are planning to be in. It also looks like the other top gear team (Wolf) from our pack is also planning to get in on the action now after a nudge from me.

I am most excited about getting a pace from the other fast cars as a goal to work on for our cars for next year as we want to keep improving.

We took 1st in the Bears and will be running in Sporty's old district race on April 13-14th, so we might need some advice on how to rejuvenate our car for this race after it hopefully has had the graphite run out of it by making it to the finals race.

It will be Mom, Dad, Son and Little Sister entries.

I too would love to see Stan and FS and anyone else from DT get some cars in. You guys should be able to slip a couple hours together between now and May to build a car. It would be neat to post the pictures and detailed build/tuning info before the races. Maybe a MAC Derby build topic, keeping it to build info only for reference, no comments from onlookers.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Knotthead,

ya know, if you pm or email me, Ill be there to try and help you.
murphken
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by murphken »

I believe it would be good to keep those League Racers out of the Adult Races. They will have their hands full with the other League Racers. That Pro Division will have some heat coming down that track.

If it is not an issue, my son Shawn will enter the Cub Scout Division with his Cub Scout Car that he raced this year. The car uses the ridges, stock BSA axles, graphite, and very, very conservative wheels. I will not be racing at all.
Murph
SHINING LIGHT Pinewood Derby & Audio
xanthrum
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by xanthrum »

Murph,

Of course your son can race... as long as he was an active scout this year... which do get checked... I am sure that he will do very well.

I was really hoping that you might be able to get over to Omaha for things this year... I know that Darryl Huntly and I would love to hang out.

Murph - by the way I did send you a PM Message on pwdr - so if you can let me know on those things that would be great...

Lastly - when ever you have a moment get in touch -- I believe that you have my direct contact information.

Truly
Greg
Greg Dawes
(402) 659-1714
murphken
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by murphken »

Gregg,
Send me you number. I will try to get to the race to support set-up. I intentionally got rid of all my cars except for SLT-R1 which is lost at this moment.
Additionally, Darryl has a pretty fast stocker that I will give to him for all his help. Bill has several beautiful cars with his name on also!
Murph
SHINING LIGHT Pinewood Derby & Audio
vdutel
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by vdutel »

It will be a blast for sure to be in person .. I heard allot of good news about this race ... I really wish I could go I am 2-1/2 hours away but work is going to keep me in town ..

I will be watching online ... Hmmm .. Any chance for online prizes??? Maybe food for thought next year ...

V
xanthrum
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by xanthrum »

Dont know exactly what you mean by online prizes... but I can tell you this that if you send in a car to race it will be returned with some cool prizes that are given out to all entrants.
Greg Dawes
(402) 659-1714