Mid America

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
resullivan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Mid America

Post by resullivan »

I just registered and plan on mailing the car sometime early this week. I am going to send the oil with it. Someone will add the oil on race day for me?
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

resullivan wrote:I just registered and plan on mailing the car sometime early this week. I am going to send the oil with it. Someone will add the oil on race day for me?

You running in the pro division ?

typically, oil needs to be applied onto the axles, before the wheel is installed. So, applying the oil with the wheels already on, may hurt you some. As long as you are aware of this and are okay with it.

Sporty
resullivan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by resullivan »

Yes pro modified. My concern is the oil evaporating before the race primarily. This was my first experience with needle axles and I could not imagine pulling the axles out and having to reinstall. Just a dab of oil on the axle seems to do the trick.
xanthrum
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by xanthrum »

Just a quick question and an answer to your question... first you mentioned needle axles - you can use.... .84 axles (generally not considered needle) is that what you are referring to? I hope so...

We can certainly apply anything that you would like just be sure to include instructions.

Truly
Greg
Greg Dawes
Mid-America Pinewood Derby
http://www.midamericaderby.com
midamericaderby@yahoo.com
(402) 659-1714
knotthed
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by knotthed »

xanthrum,

Any chance of having an open scouts - graphite only class?
(I am pretty sure GPRM would let you do this with a sub group?)

My scout wants to run, but I have heard that oil when done right will beats the pants off graphite.

No sense in sending the soldier in with 3 flat tires - our council/district/pack requires graphite only.

If not I guess we will be looking at the open kids division for him.

Looks like it will be a great event!
xanthrum
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by xanthrum »

Knotthed - with running several different databases not to mention that the ability to tech in if a person is running oil or not is nearly an impossible task with the number of cars that we race and not to mention I have not ordered specific trophies for a sub-group like that -- the logistics are such that it really is much easier to incorporate those that choose to run oil... here is some excellent information. Oil does not mean faster in fact it can be MUCH slower if not done correctly - last year my kidos ran Graphite ONLY and we did very well 3rd and 4th overall in the Scout Division and 1st in each of thier ranks... If you can make a fast graphite car you will do quite well...
Greg Dawes
(402) 659-1714
xanthrum
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by xanthrum »

Only 1 month until the Mid America Pinewood Derby... Hope many of you are geared up and ready to roll.... I can report that we have WAY more awesome prizes that we will be providing to all the entrants in this years event - it will truly be another Epic Event - many vendors - and racers from around the country have been signing up and making plans to be here at the event.

If you have not registered now is the time to get signed up you can do so right from the website http://www.midamericaderby.com

We have - some great classes open to all to run in this year
- Open Scout Division
- Open Kids Division
- Open Adult Division
- Pro-Stock
- Pro-Modified
- Pro-Bearing

If you have any questions - please feel free to contact me.
Truly
Greg
Greg Dawes
(402) 659-1714
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

I am calling my team the "Beat Sporty" team. Anyone want to join :bigups:
:lol:
Noskills (Seth)
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
MOFAST
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by MOFAST »

I registered 2 cars in the Open Adult, and my two sons are registered in the open scouts for their rank. Just registered last night.

These are my first real thin cars and I have been really frustrated with the getting paint right. Also built my first car with fenders.

My sons are racing cars from earlier this year. We will be there in person. AWESOME!

I too hope to Beat Sporty, of course I'd like to beat everybody. I know that's not going to happen. If the cars post good times, I will be happy with that.
pgosselin
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pgosselin »

MOFAST wrote:These are my first real thin cars and I have been really frustrated with the getting paint right.
My paint won't be perfect either. Never is.

To get that perfect mirror smooth finish, I'd have to cake on a lot of paint and then spend a lot of time sanding and buffing it out. I'd rather live with the imperfections than add any extra weight from the paint and the extra labor. My goal is to get just enough paint on it to protect the wood from moisture absorption, and to get just enough clear coat on to protect the rub-on decals.

Paul
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Gentlemen, you are making this paint thing much harder than what it is. You will add no more than 3 grams of weight. Primer your wood with Rust-Oleum Primer Sealer - Walmart. If your wood is smooth you should need no more than 2 or 3 coats. Let it dry overnight and then dry sand it with 600 or better yet, simply scotch brite it. Apply 2 coats of Testors one coat lacquer - Hobby Lobby (I know it says one coat). Let it dry 15 or 20 minutes and then give it two coats of 2 part automotive urethane clear. I buy the clear by the quart and shoot it through a little spray gun but you don't need all this. The product is now sold in a rattle can at stores that service body shops. The bottom is punctured, the product mixes and you're ready to spray. It's about $20.00 a can but if you want the finish of a new car than you have to use the product that gave the new car the shine. It's easy, it's quick and it gives a beautiful shine. Only the primer is sanded, there is no buffing or waxing and you could complete the entire paint job in a few hours. Give it a try. I think you'll be very pleased.
knotthed
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by knotthed »

xanthrum

Is there a "standard staging" available for your race?

Or do we really need to specify something like centered - not touching the rails, etc.....

If you have a staging "standard" can you please share it, so I will know if I should give specific instructions or just request your standard or know that it will default to the standard.

Thanks in advance,

Knotthed
birddog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by birddog »

Greg-

Will you have a live video stream of the event so that we can watch the races via the internet? It looks like you may have done that last year and was wondering if it will be available this year for those of use who are sending in proxy cars.

thanks,

birddog
xanthrum
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by xanthrum »

Yes we will have the live webcast going... you should check out the really awesome prizes that I have just started updating on the website http://www.mid-americaderby.com/cool-prizes-1 check it out...
Greg Dawes
(402) 659-1714
pgosselin
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pgosselin »

Wow, awesome prizes, Greg. That must have taken a lot of work to pull those together.

Paul