Mid America

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
xanthrum
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Mid America

Post by xanthrum »

To hopefully help answer some of your questions... There is not a specific weight on the wheels the rules can be found on the website... http://www.midamericaderby.com - specifically you have to have all BSA lettering and marking intact both inside and outside of the wheel... including the fluting that goes around the edge of the wheel. I hope that helps...
Greg Dawes
Mid-America Pinewood Derby
http://www.midamericaderby.com
midamericaderby@yahoo.com
(402) 659-1714
xanthrum
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by xanthrum »

Just to clarify... on your questions in your post...

1. Sporty mentioned a previous years wheel weight allowance, but I could not find a mention of that in the rules. Will my Derby Worx 4041 X-Lite wheels be legal? If so what is the best lubrication for those wheels riding on the nickle speed axles?

- I do not know what specific wheel you are refering to... if it is the Intertia Lite - yes ok in Scout Division and Pro-Division - if it is the Ultra Light - lettering is removed on the inside of the wheel only allowed in the Pro-Stock Division not Cub Scout Division ... if you are talking razor wheels it doesnt quite line up with the Derby Worx product names... but essentially any large axle razor wheel that meets the rules are ok in the Pro Modified Division - many pro's make thier own wheels... There is quite a bit more to answer your question on what lube / set up is best... most of the fast racers are applying an entire process with oil, wax(s), teflon, and many steps that are outlined in the forum and others...

2. No mention of chassis material? Does that mean other materials than wood are allowed? I doubt I will stray from a wood block but it would be good to know.

- The rules to mention what the body has to be made out of pinewood from official BSA Kit for all Divsions and Classes - except the Pro Divisions which your allowed to use any material, that you would like...
Greg Dawes
(402) 659-1714
TedBull
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by TedBull »

Ok. Thanks for the info. My questions were about the Pro Modified class.

Here is the link to the wheels I have on the way. - https://www.maximum-velocity.com/xliteoutlawwheels.htm" target="_blank
birddog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by birddog »

I've found what I beleive is a contradiction in the rules that can be found on the mid-america PWD web site (the HTML version of the rules) and the PDF version of the rules found on the same web site.

My kids are building cars for the open scout and open kids classs and I'm building cars for the open adult class. The contradiction is around use of lubrication. The HTML version of the rules say:

◦Open Division – Kids
◦Ages 1-16 – Non-Scouts open to "kid" under the age of 16 - Graphite Only!!!

◦Open Division – Adults
◦Over the age of 16 - Non-Pro - open to Adults anywhere - Graphite Only!!!

– Lubrication

•Graphite ONLY in Qualified Scout Division, Open Kids Division, and Open Adult Division
•In Open Scout Division - approved lubricants include (but are not limited to) Graphite, Teflon, Nyoil, Krytox

However, in the PDF version of the rules, I found this (I had to hand copy this, couldn't copy from PDF):

VI - Lubrication
- Graphite only in qualified scout division and open adult division
- In open scout and open kids division approved lubricants include (but not limited to) Gaphite, teflon, nyoil, krytox

Both sets of rules seem to say open scouts can use oil, and open adults must use graphite, but they differ on whether open kids can use oil.

Can somebody offer a clarification?

thanks,

birddog
xanthrum
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by xanthrum »

Good Catch... the PDF is the older version -- I will get that correct so that it is in synch with what is in the HTML version on the website... wow it takes forever making any and all little changes... thank you for pointing that out... Essentially only the Pro Division (Stock and Modified) and the Open Scout Division are allowed to run oil - certainly not required but it can be used as lubrication... the Qualified Scouts / Open Adult / Open Kids - are all Graphite only -- at least for this year... I would be very interested to hear all of your thoughts on this topic... we for obvious reasons allow oil in the Pro Division but this is the 1st year that we are allowing Oil in the Open Scouts "Nationals" Division largely to be inclusive and allow those progressive packs, districts, councils the ability to run with out having to tear down the car and reprep for graphite only... What are your thoughts? -- Our council was not quite ready to allow oil yet... it takes a bit of education and acceptance as graphite has been the stand by for so many years in Pinewood Derby... Maybe for the Nostalgic factor keeping graphite in some divisions should remain? or maybe not... what do you think?
Greg Dawes
(402) 659-1714
birddog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by birddog »

This is only our 2nd year in PWD and the first year my sons sisters have built cars. When I asked them if they wanted to mail in some cars and race by proxy in the mid-america race, they all said yes!

Given our district doesn't even allow extended wheel bases, much less oil, I asked the kids if they just wanted to use their existing cars or build new ones with longer wheel bases, they all said they wanted to build new ones (that made me happy, as the most enjoyable part of all this is spending time with my kids on a project together in my workshop). Although my cub scout asked if that meant he had to polish more axles (I don't think he likes that part!).

As for oil vs graphite, we've never run oil before. Given the rules that allow the 12 kids who make it into the finals to "re-lube" before the finals race, I think the oil option gives a more fair playing field to those who race by proxy and do not have the option to re-lube before the finals round. So, we'll definately use oil for the open scout car and hope the graphite holds up on the open kid and adult cars.

birddog
birddog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by birddog »

Greg-

One more thing on the web site that looks like it needs updating. The "pre-registration" links seem to take you to last year's page. I suspect they are not setup yet.

biriddog
xanthrum
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by xanthrum »

That is correct the council has all the updated information the Web Guru is working on having that function shortly... Pre-Registration has not officialled began yet... I think next week that function will be working
Greg Dawes
(402) 659-1714
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Im asking and urging.

Stand and FS, Come on now, enter a car in the mid america. I am also asking those who have Learned something from this site to enter a car. It would be nice to see some cars with some nice Derbytalk logo or decals on it also.

So are you up to it ? does not matter if you win or not, watch the race live over the internet with your family !! My understanding also a chance to win some prizes, just for sending a car in to race.

So , please, give it some thought, Id really enjoy seeing some of you send some cars from here. I'm calling all those favors from over the years ! all the help I have given to everyone here. Im asking to really try and make this happen. Dont be affraid ! slow or not , does not matter.. enjoy the fun and send one in.

Who's interested ? How about a team derby talk ?

Sporty
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Anyone wanting to put a derbytalk.com on there cars/ I can do some for people who want a basic font wording.

I dont have a bunch of colors, but if you are interested in this, pm me.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

HEY NOSKILLS !!!! LET'S GO RACE SPORTY !!!!!

Sporty, what class are you racing? I'd like a Derbytalk Logo. Any Color.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

my youngest will likely race in the class noted below

Open Division – Kids
Ages 1-16 – Non-Scouts open to "kid" under the age of 16 - Graphite Only!!!

Me and my oldest will race in this class, noted below

Open Division – Adults
Over the age of 16 - Non-Pro - open to Adults anywhere - Graphite Only!!!

see link 4 rules.
http://www.mid-americaderby.com/rules" target="_blank

Sporty
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

Let me look over the rules but I will race my car with a DT logo. Happy to support the site and the sport. If the kids are not at regionals can mail theirs in too.
Seth (Noskills)
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

I got asked, if I was trying to just get people to enter into mid america. The answer is not really.

This will likely be the last time I ever do a car. as If it had not been for a few people asking me hard. I would be still retired. But I decided one more time.

And it would be such a honor, to see all the people or some of the people I have helped over the years enter and race. For me its not about whos faster or better. Because my skills are pretty rusty.

But this website/forum has allowed me to share and post and help others over the years and it would be a honor to be able to race with you.
And I thought why not add a Derby talk onto the cars. Show some support and unity for this website that has helped so many.

Sporty
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

OK... IT'S STARTING ALREADY !!!!!! "Because my skills are pretty rusty" The next thing we're going to hear is -- A 3 1/2 ounce car is the best racing weight. Nice try, Mr. Sporty.