Mid America

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
xanthrum
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Mid America

Post by xanthrum »

I think this is fantastic news... what started with a crazy idea almost 3 years ago... proves that if you work really hard at something - focus on the execution the results seemingly take care of themselves... This race is a "pure" event that is truly designed to be a family event - in line with what "Pinewood Derby" is all about... There is not a Nationals for Cub Scouts - there should be... it is amazing what has happened in our Council just over the last 3 years... This will always be a race that is centered around Cub Scouting - Great Fair Racing... and Fun.

I appreciate what Sporty has said and I truly hope many of you are able to participate... if you have looked at the rules - we are going to be giving away 128 Trophies this year... There should be some Awesome Competition - last year we had racers from 28 different States... This is a 100% Non Profit race and any proceeds go directly back into the race, and the Mid America Council...

Just to be perfectly clear -- I asked Sporty if he would race but only once and to hear he is is great news... Just a little fun here... I hope I can beat him again... as it was very close last year. Especially in the Open Adult Division

If any of you would like information - details - anything - just let me know. I will be happy to help in any way that I can.

truly
Greg Dawes
Greg Dawes
Mid-America Pinewood Derby
http://www.midamericaderby.com
midamericaderby@yahoo.com
(402) 659-1714
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Thank you Greg. That's very generous you are happy to help in any way you can.
When you receive Sporty's car would you please grind a little flat spot in his DFW. Thank you.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

xanthrum wrote:I think this is fantastic news... what started with a crazy idea almost 3 years ago... proves that if you work really hard at something - focus on the execution the results seemingly take care of themselves... This race is a "pure" event that is truly designed to be a family event - in line with what "Pinewood Derby" is all about... There is not a Nationals for Cub Scouts - there should be... it is amazing what has happened in our Council just over the last 3 years... This will always be a race that is centered around Cub Scouting - Great Fair Racing... and Fun.

I appreciate what Sporty has said and I truly hope many of you are able to participate... if you have looked at the rules - we are going to be giving away 128 Trophies this year... There should be some Awesome Competition - last year we had racers from 28 different States... This is a 100% Non Profit race and any proceeds go directly back into the race, and the Mid America Council...

Just to be perfectly clear -- I asked Sporty if he would race but only once and to hear he is is great news... Just a little fun here... I hope I can beat him again... as it was very close last year. Especially in the Open Adult Division

If any of you would like information - details - anything - just let me know. I will be happy to help in any way that I can.

truly
Greg Dawes

Lol, Yes who had been asking me is a few people, that was in Pm's. It was not greg. he asked one time. Ansd Im sure you will beat me again and by allot more. lol.

Sporty
Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Count Me In !

Post by Scrollsawer »

This sounds like a blast. I have never done anything outside of our Pack's derby. This sounds like a hoot. Count us in!

Scott (Scrollsawer)
"Laugh a while you can Monkey Boy."
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

sporty wrote:Im asking and urging. Stand and FS, Come on now, enter a car in the mid america.
Thanks for the encouragement, but unfortunately I have pressing professional obligations between now and May (some of which involves time away from home) which makes our participation in Mid-America highly doubtful. :(
sporty wrote:How about a team derby talk ?
What a fun idea!
MOFAST
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by MOFAST »

I will be there with my 4 kids and I am bringing 2 other Scout families at a minimum. We are inviting our pack and making a weekend of it.

My wife agreed to it this morning when I got home, the kids cheered and cheered! She said we couldn't build any more cars but we'll see. We only built nine this year! :scratching:

She mumbled something about tungsten being evil and being fanatics.
Aron
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Aron »

We will enter my boys car for sure. We would be happy to put a derbytalk logo on the car :thumbup: Sounds like alot of fun.
xanthrum
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by xanthrum »

Stan Pope - are you going to race in this years Mid America Pinewood Derby?
Greg Dawes
(402) 659-1714
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

xanthrum wrote:Stan Pope - are you going to race in this years Mid America Pinewood Derby?
No. Like I told Sporty ... too many irons in too many fires.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
xanthrum
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by xanthrum »

Stan - I did not know that you had told that to anyone... just thought it might be fun for you... I know how much you like Pinewood Derby Racing.

Although there is lots of time between now and May 4th....

Truly
Greg
Greg Dawes
(402) 659-1714
Curse You Red Baron!
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Curse You Red Baron! »

Just one thing I noticed... The rules say the weight limit is 5 ounces or 143.4 grams, but 143.4 grams is 5.058 ounces... I think someone used a rough converter? I would presume the limit should be 141.7 grams?
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Curse You Red Baron! wrote:Just one thing I noticed... The rules say the weight limit is 5 ounces or 143.4 grams, but 143.4 grams is 5.058 ounces... I think someone used a rough converter? I would presume the limit should be 141.7 grams?

they do that, as is common in the league racing. due to people not having good scales.

Sporty
TedBull
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by TedBull »

sporty wrote:
Curse You Red Baron! wrote:Just one thing I noticed... The rules say the weight limit is 5 ounces or 143.4 grams, but 143.4 grams is 5.058 ounces... I think someone used a rough converter? I would presume the limit should be 141.7 grams?

they do that, as is common in the league racing. due to people not having good scales.

Sporty

Should we be shooting for 142 grams on our crummy kitchen scale.
xanthrum
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by xanthrum »

We (my kids cars and I) all weigh in at 142 or 143 -- ironically last year our car that was 142 ran faster then the 143...Also the reason we use the exact measurement that we do is a lot of packs strictly measure ounces... and in tenths... 143.4grams is the exact amount that is below 5.1 oz (if you round up) as most digital scales do... most of the leagues use 143 grams -- we go to 143.4 so that we do not have 300 scouts trying to make weight in the tech in process... and it is technically 5.049 (or very close) We have digital scales that weight to the 1000th of a gram and 10000th of a ounce.
Greg Dawes
(402) 659-1714
TedBull
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by TedBull »

xanthrum wrote:We (my kids cars and I) all weigh in at 142 or 143 -- ironically last year our car that was 142 ran faster then the 143...Also the reason we use the exact measurement that we do is a lot of packs strictly measure ounces... and in tenths... 143.4grams is the exact amount that is below 5.1 oz (if you round up) as most digital scales do... most of the leagues use 143 grams -- we go to 143.4 so that we do not have 300 scouts trying to make weight in the tech in process... and it is technically 5.049 (or very close) We have digital scales that weight to the 1000th of a gram and 10000th of a ounce.
That make sense.

So when I send our cars in Via Proxy. If the person doing the Tech Inspection finds any of our cars overweight will that person be willing and able to remove the needed amount of tungsten putty from one of the open holes I will have in the bottom of the car to bring the car to proper weight?

Also, if by some miracle any of our cars make it to the finals will someone be willing and able to re lube the wheels/axles of the proxy entries? If I undestand correctly the racers who are present will have the oppertunity to re lube thier cars before the finals correct?