What will wear out???

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
newbie2004
Apprentice
Apprentice

What will wear out???

Post by newbie2004 »

My Sons car won 1st in den and 1st overall in our pack race this past weekend. His car missed the track record by .003 sec. He is absolutely thrilled. Now he wants to race at a hobby shop race next followed by the district race then onto a open race that uses a 125 ft long track and then lastly is our counsil race. The counsil race is on the same track as was our pack race. I would like to know what if anything will wear out by the time counsil race gets here. I believe the wheels will be done for after the open race on the 125 ft track. Will the axles still be ok? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: What will wear out???

Post by sporty »

I feel personally axles, last around 22 runs maybe a tad more, before they need to be re prepped and cleaned. You are right the wheel bores, typically need re prepped also after around 16 to 22 runs, or less. depends what you do or dont do. Now that 125 foot long track is going to really tear things up and I asume a risk of damage to the wheels. They might be toast after that race. meaning damage to the o.d. of the wheel.

Increased speeds, means more risk of damage and greater damage, when it happens.

and anytime you race, unless the track has a good stop section and most do not. there is so much that can happen there, damaging the alignment, axle whole damage, that might result in needing a whole new car.

So if your goal is to run at council. and its required to use that car, Id use another car for hobby shop race and 125 foot race.

Sporty
Shawn Stebleton
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Shawn Stebleton »

I concur with Sporty.

Keep the pack car intact for the district and council races.

Build a separate "fun" car for the "fun" races. If the car hits a bad joint or for some reason comes off the track, a whole lot more can be damaged than the wheels. And yes, the stop sections can be brutal! If the "fun" car gets ruined by getting flipped off the end of one of the "fun" tracks, at least the "real" car will still be in good shape to continue on to district and council.
Shawn
Pacfanweb
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Pacfanweb »

Okay, this has me concerned.

We tested my son's car on Sunday, probably 30 runs total.

Removed the axles, inspected the bores, relubed, and reinstalled.....and put a bit of epoxy in the slots at the tips since they had been in and out a couple of times.

The wheel bores had a nice coating of graphite. Could still see the shine coming through a little, but mostly they were dark with the graphite.

I thought that was a good thing. Are we saying here saying here that they're better off shiny and not coated?