Is this you???

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Is this you???

Post by Speedster »

This is my 28th year with the Pinewood Derby. It is my year around hobby and has been for 28 years. I am 73 years old. My little scout, Jeff, is 33 years old and now lives in Texas. Are you requesting hours for Derby Lectures, Lectures and Workshops, workshops only, Pack races, District races, Nursing Home Derbys, VFW Derbys, Summer builds with Super Interested scouts (summer builds are my favorite), Derby meetings, driving to and from activities (I live in the country). Did you want the total number of hours for this season or back to 1985? I'll do my best.
Cheers
Bill
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

No, I think all that we were trying to suggest was to get the racers as involved as you can in building the car. It is supposed to be their car after all. Also, the race has always been intended as a joint project between a child and an adult. Maybe that adult is you or maybe it is some other adult. The job of the adult should be to guide and advise and get the child to do what they are capable of.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Noah,

Out of all the cars & semi trucks...
You & your Father have built together as a Team,
over the years that are shown on the display table.

What car or semi truck in the collection...
Would you say was your favorite to build together with your Father.(?)
What kit types do you and your Father like to use the most,
or what type of kit has been your favorite to build with.(?)

What woodworking skills or tools do you want to try to do..
but your Father tells you no..not with out his help.(?)
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by rpcarpe »

When your workshop season ends, it would be interesting to see the number of hours you've donated.
I was just curious to see how addicted we've all become.
Did you want the total number of hours for this season or back to 1985? I'll do my best.
Cheers
Bill
I had thought just this season. Mainly because my wife, the PWD Widow, can get a little testy as to how much time gets taken from her and given to strangers and their little wooden cars.

Currently, I attempt to limit my addiction to a few winter/spring months. (Such as they are in N. Alabama :thumbup: )

There are a few other interests that capture my time during the year.
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.
resullivan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by resullivan »

While I agree with the intent of the post, I am not sure pointing out the way people have chose to word a question on a forum on the internet is the best way to do it. I am sure at least most of us have had the slip of saying my or mine in reference to the scout car. Many times I do it on purpose half joking and half pointing out that it doesn't matter to me what other people percieve of how the car was built. All that matters to me is the time spent with my son, the amount he has learned, and his desire to do well.
ah8tk
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ah8tk »

whodathunkit wrote:What car or semi truck in the collection... Would you say was your favorite to build together with your Father.(?)
I liked my first car best because we had to learn more over the course of building it.
whodathunkit wrote:What kit types do you and your Father like to use the most, or what type of kit has been your favorite to build with.(?)
We use standard Cub Scout, “Grand Prix," Pinewood Derby kits. They are our favorite kit even over the Maximum Velocity kits, which we tried on the car we helped my cousin make.
whodathunkit wrote:What woodworking skills or tools do you want to try to do.. but your Father tells you no..not with out his help.(?)
I get to use almost all the tools he has if I want to, with the exception of the band saw which I don't care to use anyway.

Noah
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Thank you Noah,

I really like the cars and semi trucks you guys build together as a Team.
Wish I could get a firsthand look at all of them..
Instead of looking at them threw the screen on the computer..
Cause i'd tell you .. you all do some mighty good work.

Mark.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?