Wheels

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
having_wandered
Pine Head
Pine Head

Wheels

Post by having_wandered »

So I now have a small collection of BSA wheels and I was curious how they compared to each other. So I sat down and let them roll across a flat, level board that was 3ft long. I put each wheel in the same place on the board and let go, letting the imbalance of the wheel's weight start it rolling.

Each wheel showed their imbalances and imperfections on the tread as they rolled along, some at inconsistent paces, and they would wiggle or fall over at the slightest bump. They all veered to the left since the outside is slightly smaller diameter than the inside.

Then, as each wheel stopped, I marked a T next to it showing exactly where it stopped, and the die number of each wheel. I put an M next to wheels that had been previously run/polished. Many were untouched. After I was done, I got this:

Don't know if it really told a good story or not but it kept me busy for awhile. I gave the 10's to my Son to put on his car which went on to take 1st for the pack derby.

I also tried this with the AWANA wheels we have...they they veered left much harder and often fell over due to imperfections in the treads.
~Not all who wander are lost.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Wheels

Post by Speedster »

I think you have created a new game. It looks like Fun.
chromegsx
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by chromegsx »

What were you hoping to see from this game? How do you know where the imbalance was in order to start the roll?
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

It's fun to try something different. In hopes to learn something. I hate to burst you're bubble tho. Because I would like to add that. Unless you check wheel bore size. As there is recommendations for wheel bore size.

It is hard to determine if a wheel, will actually perform better on a car, due to the wheel bore size playing a bigger impact then this test.

But Im sure it was fun to try and come up with something. Fun tinkering is not a bad thing.

Sporty
having_wandered
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by having_wandered »

Curiosity really. Thought it might help alignement to have similar shaped wheels. The wheels told me where the "heavy side" was by rolling or not rolling. If they didn't roll, I rotated them until they did. With the AWANA wheels, it really showed defects in the treads due to the sprue marks.

My hypothesis was that wheels from the same mold would tend to follow the same path.
~Not all who wander are lost.