AWANA kits

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

AWANA kits

Post by FatSebastian »

We have relatives that race AWANA (who live far away), and discussions specific to AWANA cars are appearing more on DT. We're contemplating trying to build from an AWANA kit just to experience first hand the differences relative to other kits.

Is there a third-party source for unmodified AWANA components? This site sells the official kits, but apparently their kit prices are almost double when selling single kits to individuals instead of bulk to a church. Also, they don't sell to individuals spare axles or wheels. MaxV appears to sell unmodified spare axles, but spare wheels are probably needed more (as I'm sure we would wreck plenty of those experimenting).
MaxV
Merchant
Merchant

Re: AWANA kits

Post by MaxV »

Vendors used to be able to buy quantities of Awana wheels for resell. But earlier this year, Awana clamped down on that, and will now only sell the wheels to official Awana clubs. I don't know the rationale for that decision, but it seems to me that all they did was reduce wheel sales.
chromegsx
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by chromegsx »

I too would like to source a bulk kit of wheels and axles for my kids' personal fun. The individual kit price is not a solution for me.
ah8tk
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ah8tk »

chromegsx wrote:I too would like to source a bulk kit of wheels and axles for my kids' personal fun. The individual kit price is not a solution for me.
You could do what my nieces AWANA Club did then. They sourced their kits from Maximum Velocity. They are real nice kits with great axles and wheels.
chromegsx
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by chromegsx »

ah8tk wrote:
chromegsx wrote:I too would like to source a bulk kit of wheels and axles for my kids' personal fun. The individual kit price is not a solution for me.
You could do what my nieces AWANA Club did then. They sourced their kits from Maximum Velocity. They are real nice kits with great axles and wheels.
Sorry I wasn't clear. I wanted to source awana kits. MaxV has and excellent source of derby supplies and I'll probably end up getting a bulk kit from there. But last night my boys came home from Awana with a paper advertising an all ages race to benefit a missions in a month. So for now I'll probably have my boys buy a few extra kits for $3 ea.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

MaxV wrote:Awana clamped down on that, and will now only sell the wheels to official Awana clubs...
This post suggests that you don't need church representation to place a discounted order over the phone. If somebody else tries this, please post your experience here.
MaxV
Merchant
Merchant

Post by MaxV »

I tried to order wheels over the phone during the summer of 2012 and was refused. It is possible that the Awana position on this has changed. It is also possible that you can order one or two sets, but they don't sell larger quantities. I'll have to try again.
ciodude
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ciodude »

If you still need kits, I can ask our local AWANA Commander to buy a few kits for you. As I recall they were $5 each.