Track Times versus distance etc...?

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
knotthed
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Track Times versus distance etc...?

Post by knotthed »

I have been lucky enough to get a test track setup with a timer and I am wondering if there is somekind of calculator or information to determine theoretical best time and realistic times and what distance the time equates to.

I found this old topic http://www.derbytalk.com/viewtopic.php? ... e+Accur%2A" target="_blank
that suggests that .001 seconds is roughly .150 " Is this info still current or has it been refined since 2006?

I invited our whole pack over to test and tune and we had a few takers. Everyone that came over left with a faster car, it was a good time.

I also had a guy from work come over and test/tune for their Awana race. We improved the times from 2.600 s to 2.546 s. So based on the .15/.001 that was about a 8.1" improvement?

Current thoughts or information?
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Track Times versus distance etc...?

Post by sporty »

Yikes,

ya know. I have said this before and I know you really are looking for a baseline or something here.

I have ran on a ton of different tracks over the years and even the same tracks at different years.

And so many tiny factors come into play, how it was set up, reset up, ect, the change in the bounce and laser light or solenoid deviation on the pull and release. ect.

It has been so hard for me to try and have some base too. and I have up. I found it get to send a car to someone who had a track or a known race and then use that car on my track when I had one, to then use that as a base for comparison. it was flawed and not perfect but it gave me something.

hope that helps.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Track Times versus distance etc...?

Post by Stan Pope »

In addition, there are two engineering simulation programs which allow you to describe your track and your car and to vary factors such as wheel inertia and Coefficient of Friction and DFW Sliding friction, etc. These are not easy to use and you really need to prove you model (description) of the track. But, if that is your goal, look up Doc Jobe's simulation or Michael Lastufka's RaceIt! Those will tell you how fast is too fast fo the track (if you set Cf and MOI to zero!)

Both are based on analytics with confirmation from real life, and both fail when the car rattles down the track.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"