Non-BSA open races?

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
chobo
Journeyman
Journeyman

Non-BSA open races?

Post by chobo »

I think I have been using the wrong search words, but is there a listing somewhere of pinewood derby races that one can enter without having to be in BSA or any other type of affiliation? I did find a website pwdracing.com; does anyone have any experience with them and/or some insight about racing there?
Wife:
"You guys know that the derby is over, right?!!"
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Non-BSA open races?

Post by FatSebastian »

chobo wrote:I think I have been using the wrong search words, but is there a listing somewhere of pinewood derby races that one can enter without having to be in BSA or any other type of affiliation?
The appropriate term is league racing. Leagues don't find much discussion on DT, because DT is primarily dedicated to the discussion of derbies as an organized children's activity. Nevertheless, some Derby Talkers are/have been involved with leagues.

The annual Mid-America Race has an open category which allows proxy racing; however, it is BSA related.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Thru out my years. I have from time to time, called around and so forth, and with a little bit of time and work. You can typically find a non bsa race, churches, ect. fund raiser, someone out there, is usually having a race.

It is hard and I could only tell you to check with churches and perhaps people who sell your kit that you use.
It takes time, but when you do this, Usually you can find a race or two, that fits your car, the race might have already been held for the year, but it helps for the following year.

There is many race options out there for you, but you might have to be willing to go with a bsa car to do those races.
Bsa is more common naturally and thus providing allot more chances and opportunities for you.

Sporty
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

If you are interested in league racing, the better place to discus it is on the league forums. Derby Talk is really for discussions about the kids races.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
TedBull
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by TedBull »

I was also intersted in expanding our derby experiance to more than just the yearly pack race and district race. The Mid America Derby in May is our next goal. Then League racing for me.

As far as finding local races, like sporty said check with churches, community events, I have heard walmart has a derby in some cities. Craigslist might give you results. Also search your area for someone who does Pinewood Derby track rentals, once you find them and their schedual you will have a whole list of dates and events in your area.

NPWDRL is the league that I will be sending my car to race once its finished. They also have a message board.