So your scout race is done for the year, Whats next ?

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
Ickabod Crane
Journeyman
Journeyman

Re: So your scout race is done for the year, Whats next ?

Post by Ickabod Crane »

I'm running in an adult fund raiser next weekend. It's a bone stock PWD race that supports the local cub scouts. Then in two weeks my Bear Cub will race at Districs. Last year he placed second by .002 average. I know we both learned a lot on DT this year and will see if we were able to apply it to this year's cars. Then as the last hurah for this year, we plan to send a car or two to the Mid Am race. I don't think we will be a serious contender there but look forward to seeing where we land compared to everyone else.

This year we built over a dozen cars. I think we will take the short Wisconsin Summer off and do a little golfing. We'll be back at it when the weather turns cold again. Thanks to Sporty for all the gernerous tips and suggestions. You've been a great help.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: So your scout race is done for the year, Whats next ?

Post by Darin McGrew »

sporty wrote:Do you just pack it all away and put it out of your mind and come back in 8 to 10 months ?
We usually have some sort of discussion/debriefing shortly after the derby, but the next time we think about it is late summer, when we're creating the church calendar for the coming year. We need to pick a date for the derby, for the workshops preceding the derby, and for the kick off where we distribute kits and explain the basic steps of building a car.

After that, we make sure we're ready (kits ordered, loaner tools arranged, etc.) for derby season, but we don't really think about it too much until then.

Personally, I'm always coming up with derby car designs. If I'm lucky, I'll remember a few of the good ones when derby season arrives. But I wait until derby season before doing any construction.