Interested in feedback on some Harbor Freight tools

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
4wheeldrift
Journeyman
Journeyman

Interested in feedback on some Harbor Freight tools

Post by 4wheeldrift »

I'm thinking of getting the belt sander and maybe band saw from HF. I take their site's review with a grain of salt, but it seems like the belt sander may not be bad. The band saw may be another issue though.

I searched the DT forums and found several folks are using the lathe from HF, but not much in the way of their other tools.

We've been getting by with hand tools and a dremel, but I'd like to participate in more events and have more flexibility with some power tools.

TIA
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Interested in feedback on some Harbor Freight tools

Post by whodathunkit »

4wheeldrift,

Maybe this link will help :idk:...
http://www.toolcrib.com/blog/2008/08/bu ... he-abysmal" target="_blank

I've been looking at the 1in x 30in belt sander harbor freight has for $39.99
for some of the scroll saw projects I do from time to time.

If your just doing small projects from time to time or your just makeing derby cars
with these tools it's a cheep investment to let your kids try some power tools out with also.
However if the tool brakes can you get replacement parts to fix it?
if not your out the cost of the tool and a replacment for tool also.

But if your looking to do more in the way of biger projects around the shop or house.
Then a tool that is compatible to an industrial type tool at just a little more in cost
that you can get replacements parts for might be worth the investment also.

Whoda.
Last edited by whodathunkit on Thu May 09, 2013 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

4wheeldrift wrote:I'm thinking of getting the belt sander and maybe band saw from HF.
We have had a larger HF belt sander for many years. It works about like any other belt sander with no issues. However, allow me to refer you to MaxV's article on sanders, because if we were starting over we'd get something like the versatile and space-saving Oscillating Edge/Belt Spindle Sander.
psycaz
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by psycaz »

I own that Rigid unit. Very nice and versatile.

Only thing I have had to do is clamp something to the retaining arm/end stop that is supposed to support pieces while sanding. Making 1/4" planks, they fit in between that arm and the belt. Can shoot them across the room. Done that several times :D It's the black piece in the picture to the left side.

That's been the only thing that remotely I can so bad about the unit. The scouts I still help out love the thing once they get over watching it move. You can put your finger on the belt and not hurt yourself. I do this when showing the boys how to use it just so they relax. The adults too. Some have never used a power tool before so they get real nervous around them. With this, you can give them a piece of scrap wood to start just to get a feel for it. If your finger slips, it won't hurt. Yes, if you leave it there, it will grind off skin. But a slight tap, nothing. The option of switching to the spindle makes it very versatile. Can sand nice swoops in the wood easily.

Hope that helps.
4wheeldrift
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by 4wheeldrift »

Excellent feedback guys and thanks FS for pointing that unit out. Ironically I came across an oscillating sander earlier today when doing some online searches and had wondered how it would work, but it didn't have the belt feature and was just the spindle only. That Rigid looks pretty nice but that alone would kill the budget. I want something to build cars with and for those occasional jobs every couple of months. But it may be worth splurging for the Rigid for the extra functionality. Unfortunately that bright orange means it'll be a little harder to hide in the garage. ;-)
knotthed
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by knotthed »

We just got one for the mid america. Best $40 bucks I've spent. High removal rates even with a 120 grit belt. I would like to find some 220 belts to keep the kids from removing too much materiak too quick. We were previously using a couple of files and shaping time dropped dramatically. Nice small unit also, I would say perfect for derby size tasks. Be sure to at least get some 120 belts it comes with an 80 which was like a chainsaw on our derby block. An 80 could destroy a block quick.
resullivan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by resullivan »

I was wanting to get a band saw as well, but after going to a few workshops I think I am going to get a scroll saw instead.
birddog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by birddog »

I've been a hobbiest wood worker for 20 years now and have slowly created a colleciton of tools for my woodshop over those years (many years of xmas and bday presents). So, I have experience with many different types of saws and sanders.

I don't own the rigid oscilating sander, but it looks like a nice unit.

Of all the sanders I own, I find clamping my belt sander in a vice and using it to rough shape/sand is a real time saver over doing it by hand.

As for saws, I own many types (table, band, scroll, circular, etc). I use the band saw for initial cut down to verical profile. For top profile, I use my scroll saw. If I were to pick one saw to use, it would be the scroll saw. The reason is that I don't see my cub ever getting to the point in his cub scout career where I would let him use the band saw due to safety reasons. However, the scroll saw is much more forgiving and very difficult to cut a finger with and although I guide his hands with it today (he is a wolf), I can see him doing this on his own next year.

If you are just buying tools for PWD cars, HF stuff is fine. If you want to start building a workshop to last a life time, I'd recommend looking for used tools on craigslist. I got my scroll saw that way (Hegner) and saved 70% over retail.

birddog
4wheeldrift
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by 4wheeldrift »

Thanks again to everyone for the great feedback.

And to Birddog's point, yes, I've been trolling the local Craigslist ads as well. I had looked a few months ago and the selection wasn't that great let alone prices weren't far off from near new in store, but in looking over last few days there are some good options so I'll likely start calling some folks up to check out what they've got.
4wheeldrift
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by 4wheeldrift »

Thought I'd provide a quick reply on this topic as I scored one of the rigid oscillating sanders off of craigslist. It was still a little dusty but didn't show much wear and the spindles looked like they hadn't be used. Overall not bad and for not much more than what the basic belt sander from Harbor Freight would've cost.
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by rpcarpe »

I would NOT buy a band-saw from Harbor Freight, and I buy some stuff from there.
Maybe a scroll saw.

Belt sander.. not risking much.
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I'd be uneasy getting a band saw from HF. I got a Craftsman benchtop band saw that has worked well for me. Sears puts them on sale frequently.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.