Angled slide glide?

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
Laserman
Merchant
Merchant

Angled slide glide?

Post by Laserman »

This is probably a dumb question but here goes:

Is it advisable to sand/ angle the slide glide so that it runs perpendicular to the bore?

Ex. for the DFW that has positive cant and toe in, should the teflon be fitted to so that the bore makes contact with the teflon all around the axel hole?

What about having a slight bowl to accomodate the rounded area of the bore? Would this just make it bind more?

Thanks to the fellas that have taken time on these forums to answer my questions. I am almost done with my first league car and I would not have been able to do it without the help. Names like Stan Pope, BSB, Evolution, Sporty, Cycrunner, 5Kids spring to mind to name but a few.

Thanks
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Angled slide glide?

Post by sporty »

Laserman,

Yes, I do angle the wood on the DFW to match the angle of my cant. I also round over that area. so little can touch. I use to do this for the rears, but canting, you don't really need to do the rears anymore like that, unless just for comfort factor.

I rarely use the teflon on the DFW. Some do and some do not.

When I tinkered with it and testing times, ect. a few years ago now. I found little change over a good polished and slick area, but this also is in relationship to graphite.

And I asume you will be or are running oil. And ya graphite as we know it, don't mix with oil.

So, I don't have anything bad to say about the teflon tape. But i also think a good smooth and polished and waxed surface there works well too.

Others would have to chime in, those whom have more experience then just my tinkering and testings days. which was long ago.

But you didn't really ask that, So I added that in for some reason.

But yes I still feel rounding over and angling the wood to match the cant on the DFW is the way to go. But thats just how I feel and have had good luck with it.

The hardest thing, is so many people who are fast or are great car builders, do it many different ways. And sometimes too, what works for some or for a few may not work 4 you.

Sporty
Laserman
Merchant
Merchant

Re: Angled slide glide?

Post by Laserman »

Thanks so much Sporty. I have been reading older questions that you have answered for people in the past and I cannot thank you enough for sharing your knowledge.