Late than never - Districts

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
lifer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Late than never - Districts

Post by lifer »

My Webelos I and Wolf both made it to districts last year. Both boys were racing at the same time on two different tracks. The Webelos races were quite close, with no less than 9 dead heats - two winning cars tying to the thousandth of a second! There were jokes about what would happen if there was a tie at the end. Well... you guessed it, as they counted down the 5 fastest elapsed times they got to second place and paused. They then announced that there was a tie for first, to the thousandth of a second over three races. One was my son (proud papa!). They then announced that my son would be awarded second place because the other racer's fastest time was 1/1000th of a second faster than my son's fastest. I watched as my son walked up to the podium to receive his trophy. When he turned around, he congratulated the other boy with a smile on his face (prouder papa!)

As this was occurring, My other son's races were starting. They ran all the first heats and announced the beginning of the second heat races, but my son's car never ran! I walked up to the stager and pointed this out and he looked down at the cars in the pit and said "you're right! I would have remembered that car." They checked the computer and found his number was skipped right over! The only remedy they could come up with was to run the car solo on each lane at the end and manually score it. When they did that, my son's car placed second!

So both of my sons walked out of the gym with second place trophies and pride in their cars.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Late than never - Districts

Post by gpraceman »

Congrats to you and your sons! Great sportsmanship on the part of your Webelo for graciously taking 2nd.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

I also CONGRATULATE you and your sons. They are great sports. However, I think the two racers, and the folks watching the race, got short changed. How EXCITING it would have been to see these two boys race their cars. The leaders could have picked out two lanes and raced the cars in a lane and then switched lanes. This would have given the cars a chance to each run the same course. When cars tie to .001 I think it's time for a race off. What a "Nail-Biter" that would have been.
Again, CONGRATULATIONS ! ! You and your sons are a Great team.
Cheers,
Bill
pgosselin
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pgosselin »

Great stories. I agree, they should have raced off for first. Still, with the way they calculated first, it's hard to argue. It was definitely fair.

Congrats,

Paul
TXDerbyDad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TXDerbyDad »

That's awesome, and way to go Scouts! :clap: