Did anyone see the new PWD items at Scoutstuff.org?

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
MOFAST
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Did anyone see the new PWD items at Scoutstuff.org?

Post by MOFAST »

They now offer a COG station made out of wood with measurements to change COG.

They also offer aluminum plating to add to an existing wooden track, no pictures were included so it's hard to see exactly what you are getting. It is 27.99 for 93" x 4" I believe, or you can get 6 sections for a discounted price.
That might be one heavy track!
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Did anyone see the new PWD items at Scoutstuff.org?

Post by FatSebastian »

MOFAST wrote:They now offer a COG station made out of wood with measurements to change COG.
I did not notice, but presume we are discussing Item 618809.

We built a similar contraption once; it was hard to use and harder to use accurately. For about the same price (using a coupon), one could buy a digital scale which can provide a much easier and more accurate means of determining CoM. Plus builders will need a scale anyway.

The good thing about the BSA CoM station is that it implies that CoM location is something to monitor, which should be helpful to newcomers. Now I wonder if the station provides recommendations on where the CoM ought to be... ?
MOFAST
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by MOFAST »

I just found it interesting how Scouts in the last couple years is starting to expand the offerings for PWD. The Tungsten cubes (very high priced), Krytox, Derby Worx tools, etc.

These offerings were not something I was interested in buying, but they were something I had not seen before. I would like to see a picture of the aluminum plating.
psycaz
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by psycaz »

It's good to see the National Org get behind the newer tools available. Now if we can get the local folks to acknowledge the same.

Pictures on that playing would be extremely helpful. A video on usage would probably quadruple sales at a minimum.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

BSA has been carrying the Beta Crafts aluminum track plating for many years. There are plans available to use the plating to build a track. I saw one of these tracks many years ago. They are rather long (54ft) and bulky.

Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
psycaz
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by psycaz »

I thought it was different plating. Something adjusted for simple attachment.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

gpraceman wrote:BSA has been carrying the Beta Crafts aluminum track plating for many years. I saw one of these tracks many years ago. They are rather long (54ft) and bulky.
Randy,
A topic about Beta Crafts aluminum track plateing.
http://www.derbytalk.com/viewtopic.php?p=47628" target="_blank

And a web site showing a few photos of "The Challenger"
http://www.pwdracing.com/photos/track/" target="_blank

you-tube video of race on what looks to be on Beta Crafts track plating.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTJRa-rGBdM" target="_blank
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

There has been lots of hard work and strides made by people over the years. I myself at one time, spent some time talking with people from BSA.

Some positions rotate, ect. There is very good core group there now, from my understanding.

And you all should thank Bill at derbyworx, works hard and talks with them too. Im sure he had a small part of hard work there to help see this become better for everyone in the offerings of derby goods.

Not to long ago, when they did the marketing, Race into scouting, and Jeff Gordon and others. Many kids look back and recall Pinewood derby as a stand out, for them in there scouting days. Among other things aswell.

Sporty