Thoughts on these rules?

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
jzarvey
Journeyman
Journeyman

Thoughts on these rules?

Post by jzarvey »

http://storage.michiganscouting.org/eve ... _rules.pdf

Just looking for input. They seem kind of vague to me, especially the wheel width rule and the operations not allowed for wheels and axles.
Jim
aka jzarvey

Chief Engineer (aka Dad)
Gold Standard Racing
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Thoughts on these rules?

Post by FatSebastian »

jzarvey wrote:They seem kind of vague to me...
Especially these parts:
The inspect tors have the right to disqualify those cars that do not meet these specifications or the spirit of which the race is intended.
If you try to read between the lines of these rules chances are you will be disqualified.
:roll:
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

FatSebastian wrote:parts:
The inspect tors have the right to disqualify those cars that do not meet these specifications or the spirit of which the race is intended.
If you try to read between the lines of these rules chances are you will be disqualified.
:roll:
If I used the bottom half of the kit block with the notches and cut the bottom half thin
running it with the notches up and the used a very thin slice of the top of the same kit block
to cover the axles up..
Would it be makeing the inspectors read between the seam lines of the kit block.
Under there rules:
I could do this very thing and still make inspection.
As the axles must be set in wood with only the head of the axle exposed.. for inspection.
Drilled axle holes would be ok as well seem kinda vague that the inspectors
are not useing the axle notches as the spirit of which the race is intended
for the inspection of the axles.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

The 3/8" wheel width rule is fairly standard. That shouldn't cause a problem. The rules seem very generous if these really are the rules and they didn't accidentally leave something out. That could be clarified with management. As I read the rules, you can build an extended wheelbase, 3 wheel railrider. This is what I would do. Cut slots for the wheelbase you want. Use the screw technique for the rears. Put enough Negative camber on the rears until the wheels just start to tip. The angle of the nails will make the wheels migrate to the axle head as soon as the car starts to roll. Other scouts wheels will probably be more tipped than yours. The inspector will know you're not trying to cheat because you have your entire nail exposed. Find the most bent USA axle you can. Any Positive camber with toe-in on the DFW will work, just not quite as good as you would like it to. Adjust it to the best drift possible. Have your scout brush his favorite color on the car and put "Smiley" faces all over it. Take care to cover the 2 little holes you drilled for those #2 by 1/2" round head brass screws you got from Lowes. If you're really brave you can fasten a piece of sandpaper over the blade of your wheel shaver and tell the inspector they didn't say you couldn't sand the wheel.

BILL, YOU READ BETWEEN THE LINES AND DIDN'T FOLLOW THE SPIRIT. GET OUT OF HERE !!!!
jzarvey
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by jzarvey »

if these really are the rules and they didn't accidentally leave something out.
These are really the rules. I was shocked by how generous they were too. I agree with FS about this
and especially this
The rule regarding wheel modifications
• Wheels may not be shaved, the minimum wheel width is .375 (3/8) inches. Wheels may not be tapered, rounded, or angled to minimize track surface contact.
Does that mean that my scout can turn them on a lathe since turning is a completely different operation than shaving (in turning, the workpiece moves past the cutter blade; in shaving, the blade moves over the workpiece)? If turning is considered shaving, what about sanding down? What about lightening down to a 1 gram wheel?

Is it just me trying to find the loopholes or there just being very large loopholes to find?
Jim
aka jzarvey

Chief Engineer (aka Dad)
Gold Standard Racing