Rocket Speed Axles?

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
itgl72
Apprentice
Apprentice

Rocket Speed Axles?

Post by itgl72 »

Has anyone here every used derbychamp's Rocket Speed Axles? Although my son and I have recently done the whole deburring and polishing at home together, certainly they are not the best quality because we used a drill. Better than nothing, but, I recently obtained access to a set of Rocket Speed Axles and they seem to be from the official BSA kit according to their website.

Here are the rules for our pack on axles, what is your opinion?
AXLES:

BSA Nail type axles are required with an overall diameter of no less than .084 inches for each wheel. Some polishing and/or modification is allowed as long as overall diameter is not reduced below .084 requirement.

Grooves are allowed; the depth of the groove(s) is not limited so long as the journal portion of the axle (the part the wheel rides on) is no less than the stated minimum diameter.

Axles must not be connected to any device that mechanically alters rotation or spin. Axles must be mounted into the wood sections of car. Drilled holes or slots can be used.

Approved lubricants include (but are not limited to) graphite, Teflon, Nyoil, and Krytox.

Over-application of lubricant which results in excessive shedding onto the track is not allowed.
We've had fun building the car, its pretty much done, my son has had some part in all aspects of its build, but if we can be a little more competitive then I'm all for it as long as we are within the rules. Last thing I want is to have an issue on inspection day.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Rocket Speed Axles?

Post by Speedster »

I'll tell you something right now. I'd like to see your rules on everything. I have never, ever seen Scout rules that generous. Are you using Krytox for a lubricant? Graphite? Are you setting your car up as a railrider? You will probably want to order a set of .093 stainless steel, grooved, axles no matter what you are using for lube.

Can you send us a copy of your rules and a picture of your car? If your axle rules are that generous I'd like to see what they have to say about your wheels.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

Speedster wrote:I have never, ever seen Scout rules that generous.
Then you've never seen the Rules in the Box! ;)
itgl72
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by itgl72 »

Just realized those were not the correct rules they sent, or at least not for our council, it was from Minnesota I believe. Our rules are actually here: http://nega-bsa.org/wp-content/uploads/ ... -Rules.pdf" target="_blank

Is it me or are there basically little to no rules on axles? It seems like a short and sweet set of rules that are very basic.

As for other questions, we're pretty basic here, only our second year doing this and this year it snuck up on us and left us with mainly a 3 week window to get it done and try to get the kids involved with as much as possible. Their attention spans in 1st/2nd grade is limited. Graphite is all we have used before, have not done anything specific to make it a railrider, just trying to keep the wheels straight on. Picture of car not ready yet.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Yep, that does change things a bit.
I would recommend you get Troy Thornes's latest book, "Build a Winning PINEWOOD DERBY CAR". They should be available at Michael's. Stick with Derby Talk and learn to use the "Search" function.?
Good Luck.
LightninBoy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by LightninBoy »

Speedster wrote:I'll tell you something right now. I'd like to see your rules on everything. I have never, ever seen Scout rules that generous. Are you using Krytox for a lubricant? Graphite? Are you setting your car up as a railrider? You will probably want to order a set of .093 stainless steel, grooved, axles no matter what you are using for lube.

Can you send us a copy of your rules and a picture of your car? If your axle rules are that generous I'd like to see what they have to say about your wheels.
http://www.northernstarbsa.org/Forms/Ac ... yRules.pdf" target="_blank

Those are the Minnesota council rules where I race. :bigups:
LightninBoy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by LightninBoy »

itgl72 wrote:Just realized those were not the correct rules they sent, or at least not for our council, it was from Minnesota I believe. Our rules are actually here: http://nega-bsa.org/wp-content/uploads/ ... -Rules.pdf" target="_blank

Is it me or are there basically little to no rules on axles? It seems like a short and sweet set of rules that are very basic.

As for other questions, we're pretty basic here, only our second year doing this and this year it snuck up on us and left us with mainly a 3 week window to get it done and try to get the kids involved with as much as possible. Their attention spans in 1st/2nd grade is limited. Graphite is all we have used before, have not done anything specific to make it a railrider, just trying to keep the wheels straight on. Picture of car not ready yet.
Those rules are horrible. I just shook my head at this part ...

The rolling surfaces of all four wheels must touch the track. If only three wheels touch the track, or if only the wheel edges touch the track, this provides an unfair advantage, and cannot be permitted.

How are either of those things an "unfair advantage"?
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

They will allow the car to go faster. One for a savings in Rotational Energy and the other bypassing imperfections on the part of the wheel that rolls on the track.
resullivan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by resullivan »

It isn't an unfair advantage because 1) anyone can make a car have 3 wheels, and 2) most people's cars do run on only 3 wheels unintentionally.
LightninBoy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by LightninBoy »

Speedster wrote:They will allow the car to go faster. One for a savings in Rotational Energy and the other bypassing imperfections on the part of the wheel that rolls on the track.
Yeah - I get that. Like resullivan said though, I don't get how its "unfair". Graphite allows the car to go faster. Is it "unfair" to use graphite? (That's just a rhetorical question).

Anyways ... Back on topic ... it does seem as if this set of rules allows for the typical axle mods - tapering head, grooving, and polishing. Though they do state you have to use the BSA axles. Those rocket axles should be legal since they start with the official BSA axle.