Glue weights to bottom of car?

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
itgl72
Apprentice
Apprentice

Glue weights to bottom of car?

Post by itgl72 »

So we had the car done, we wanted to tweak the COG a little so the weight we had slotted under the car that was screwed in was cut to move an ounce back. Maybe we're getting too cute with all of this but, regardless. Now I need to glue the weight under the car, the other part of the weight is still screwed in.

What type of glue should we use to glue metal to wood? I tried a small tube of gorilla glue and after 30-45 minutes it didnt take at all.

Would I be better off with regular ole elmers glue or some other type?

As an added precaution, has anyone ever put a layer of tape to the bottom of their cars to ensure weights do not fall off?
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Glue weights to bottom of car?

Post by FatSebastian »

itgl72 wrote:What type of glue should we use to glue metal to wood?
Recommendations may depend on whether you expect to move the weight again afterward. How permanent do you want the bond?
itgl72
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by itgl72 »

I dont plan on moving it.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

itgl72 wrote:I don't plan on moving it.
For a strong, permanent bond that works with metal and wood, many people on DT recommend two-part epoxy. FWIW, we also found Loctite Repair Extreme to be a very useful all-purpose alternative to epoxy that does not required mixing for crafts that also has good dampening characteristics. (It now appears that Repair Extreme has been replaced with Stik'n Seal Extreme Condition.)

This topic may be of interest also.
birddog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by birddog »

I agree with FS. We use a 2 part epoxy to glue our weights in and it gives a solid hold that will not come un-done, even when scraped across the stop section of a best track. Works great, never had a problem.

birddog
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

I use 5 min epoxy and its great. This year our pack scale goes to 0.1 oz so all our cars weight 5.06 oz. The District weights in grams to I used Elmers to glue in my last 2 cubes. Seemed to do quite well. I have not tried to extract them yet but will soon.
Noskills
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Weights are not allowed screwed onto the bottom of cars in our Pack or District. That zinc weight tears up the sponge on our brake track and I'm tired of fixing it. Stan also pointed out long ago weight on the bottom of the car actually gives an unfair advantage per the Laws of Physics. If it violates the 3/8" rule it's illegal. Probably 3M Indoor/ Outdoor double face tape will hold a weight on the bottom of a car. It's tough stuff. You might want to check with management to find out if you are allowed to do it.
itgl72
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by itgl72 »

All is well, we are good to go. Had a great day and all the tips here as usual were helpful.