Do you use aftermarket wheels or axles?

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.

Do you buy/use aftermarket wheels or axles?

Wheels Only
No votes
Axles Only
7%
Both
43%
Neither
50%

Total votes: 14

DerbyAddicted
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Do you use aftermarket wheels or axles?

Post by DerbyAddicted »

Hi all. Just wondering what the consensus is on aftermarket wheels and axles. Part of me wants to turn to the darkside, but I also feel that if I buy aftermarket wheels/axles, that takes the bulk of the work out of the PWD car and for the most part only leaves tuning.
Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Do you use aftermarket wheels or axles?

Post by Scrollsawer »

I dunno, I tend to think that the body of the car is the biggest build element as it's the biggest item to factor for, and the one item in the kit that has such variability year after year. Wheels and axles? The same work efforts are applied to those two items year after year with little variability. Dull by comparison.

The wood block is to us, as the slab of marble was to Michelangelo. :angel:

Scrollsawer
"Laugh a while you can Monkey Boy."
DerbyAddicted
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by DerbyAddicted »

In general, yes the body has the biggest potential for being a blank canvas and variation. But the reality is (at least in the "go fast" world of PWD) most cars are 1/4" builds or wedges of some degree
Shawn Stebleton
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Shawn Stebleton »

Our pack and district require use of the standard Pinewood Derby kit. We have bought extra wheels and axles from the Scout Shop, but I don't consider those as "aftermarket" parts--just more of the same of what was in the box. My boys learn to develop patience by doing 4 wheels and axles every year. Sometimes they have to do things they think is boring, which is a good life lesson.
Shawn
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

I advised a busy mom in our den that, if she wasn't able to do axle polishing with her kids' cars, the next best thing would be to grab some Revell axles at Michael's. Would that be 'aftermarket'?
DerbyAddicted
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by DerbyAddicted »

Vitamin K wrote:I advised a busy mom in our den that, if she wasn't able to do axle polishing with her kids' cars, the next best thing would be to grab some Revell axles at Michael's. Would that be 'aftermarket'?
While they are an improvement over the "stock" axles, I don't consider those "aftermarket". I was meaning more like the grooved axles or equivalent.
TXDerbyDad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TXDerbyDad »

The Chinese axles are better, but they are slightly undersized compared to kit axles. I'm not sure about axle slots, but they are a bit too loose for my liking in #44 axle holes without drilling holes underneath and glueing. As for other axles and wheels, no I do not use them. Given the quality of the current wheels, I can get a near flat second car on our 40 ft wood track with stock wheels with some light prep work on a candy bar car with almost 4 oz of tungsten, though I do measure them before using them to match up the backs as well as possible.