Wotamalo District 2014 just went to [junk]...

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Wotamalo District 2014 just went to [junk]...

Post by Stan Pope »

gman247 wrote:I feel sorry for the Heartland district too. Their build rules are more stringent than Wotamalo's. It seems they're ... not allowed to use liquid lubricants as this year's Wotamalo's rules appear to allow.
I did not see a change in allowed lubricants in the published rules. The requirement to add graphite to the wheel bores during inspection was still alive, last I heard. Did I miss something?
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
gman247
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by gman247 »

Well, last year they had a lube pit set up everyone had to go through, but the rule was only 1 wheel.

This year this has been changed/added in the 2014 FAQ:
I heard about a "super slick" lubricant that I want to use on my wheels. Is
that allowed?
Yes, but all cars must apply graphite in the inspection line.

I don't know if its "in the spirit" or not, but if you only have to apply graphite to 1 wheel like last year, there's nothing that says you have to apply it to a wheel that actually touches the track? I can't find anything that bans wet lubes in the rules like there was last year either.

That's how I read it anyway.. We're still going to use graphite, but it seems the option is there?
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

The inspector will direct which wheel! Given that (trust me it will be a rear wheel), the competitor will probably lube both (that is allowed) and may even lube the DFW! :)
Stan
gman247
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by gman247 »

To be honest, at the lube pit last year, I didn't even see anyone there watching it when my boys went through. We actually skipped adding the graphite. We didn't cheat with our lube, just a graphite/moly mix, but I really didn't feel like trying to clean it all off my boys afterwards lol. That pit was messssssy!

I am kind of against forcing them to use the stuff that's provided though. I understand what they're trying to do with that rule, but if they want to force people to use a dry lube they should be allowed to either use their own OR the provided stuff. It's pretty easy for an inspector to be able to tell if it's a dry or wet lube in a bottle and if they apply it or not. What about people who use a fine mesh graphite, or a mix of other dry ingredients and dont want the standard stuff in their wheels? I dunno.. Just my $.02 worth anyway :)
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Stan, I'd love to see a picture of your team's car. I'll bet you've got stock wheelbase slots, holes drilled for extended wheelbase, holes drilled for oil only, holes drilled for graphite only, holes drilled for "4 on the ground", holes drilled for 3 wheel rail rider, machined wheels where allowed, stock wheels (no work done), stainless steel axles, stock axles, axles Made in China. There aren't any rules that are going to stop your team. How many Districts are you racers planning on competing in? You'll need to oil up the wheels on the Ole Radio Flyer to carry home all the trophies.
So you have to go through a line and put some provided graphite on your wheels. May Heaven Help the Pinewood Derby. How do people think this stuff up? On the bright side, you gents probably have everyone on DT smiling and shaking their heads.
Good Luck to all you racers in these Districts.
DerbyAddicted
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by DerbyAddicted »

Speedster wrote:Stan, I'd love to see a picture of your team's car. I'll bet you've got stock wheelbase slots, holes drilled for extended wheelbase, holes drilled for oil only, holes drilled for graphite only, holes drilled for "4 on the ground", holes drilled for 3 wheel rail rider, machined wheels where allowed, stock wheels (no work done), stainless steel axles, stock axles, axles Made in China. There aren't any rules that are going to stop your team. How many Districts are you racers planning on competing in? You'll need to oil up the wheels on the Ole Radio Flyer to carry home all the trophies.
So you have to go through a line and put some provided graphite on your wheels. May Heaven Help the Pinewood Derby. How do people think this stuff up? On the bright side, you gents probably have everyone on DT smiling and shaking their heads.
Good Luck to all you racers in these Districts.
You forgot holes for a left DFW, AND a right DFW. lol I was considering adding holes to my sons car for an extended wheel base.
gman247
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by gman247 »

I think you might be missing the point of me and stan's last couple of posts speedster... Which is how the council here has managed to mangle up 2 different district races by inviting kids from other districts to race that have different rules, leaving one of the districts at a distinct disadvantage if they allow the cars from the other district in.

Unless I missed the point of your post lol Seemed kind of sarcastic though :)
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

gman247 wrote:I am kind of against forcing them to use the stuff that's provided though. I understand what they're trying to do with that rule, but if they want to force people to use a dry lube they should be allowed to either use their own OR the provided stuff. It's pretty easy for an inspector to be able to tell if it's a dry or wet lube in a bottle and if they apply it or not. What about people who use a fine mesh graphite, or a mix of other dry ingredients and dont want the standard stuff in their wheels? I dunno.. Just my $.02 worth anyway :)
What is recommended and what gets implemented doesn't always appear to be the same... The recommendation was "what they bring (so long as it is dry) or one of the good brands supplied."
Stan
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

gman247 wrote:We actually skipped adding the graphite. We didn't cheat with our lube, just a graphite/moly mix, but I really didn't feel like trying to clean it all off my boys afterwards lol.
Problem is that to an outside observer, e.g. parents of other competitors, one who skips because he knows he has followed the rules is indistinguishable from one who skips because he knows the graphite would foul his oiled wheels.
Stan
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

gman, my heart goes out to you and every single person in those districts. In my wildest dreams I could never have come up with something like that. Everyone of the districts in our council has different rules, some major, some minor. If our council did something like that I would have to build a car as I jokingly described what I thought Stan might do. We have no Council race. With all the concern about losing money on our District race we're lucky to even have a District race. If what has happened in your Districts was the result of a decision by one person I suspect someone has too much power.
I do wish everyone luck and I hope the scouts all have a good time. Make the Best of it and perhaps things can be changed for next year's competition.
gman247
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by gman247 »

True enough, it was well after the inspection table in the line though. I figured anyone using oil would have been caught during inspection.
gman247
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by gman247 »

Speedster: Sorry! I did mistake your post :) Haven't had enough coffee to lube up my axles yet.

Yeah, it's pretty crazy and I just can't understand the logic at all. Other than a money thing, I can't see how it benefits anyone. And if they're putting money ahead of the kids, that really makes me sad :( I can understand if the money isn't there to have a district race, it just isn't there. But changing it last minute because someone's freaking out about registration numbers is crazy.

I don't have any clue if that's the reason or not, and I don't know what the registration numbers are/were at the time of the decision. But I do know that for the tigers last year, there were at the very least 50 kids racing. No reason for me to think that number would change significantly this year..
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

My sincerest hope is that folks are not repelled by the confusion over who and when and where and, as a result, fail to follow through on their intention to submit registrations! That would really hurt the program.
Stan
gman247
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by gman247 »

Yeah, the council member who wrote the email apparently transposed which district for which time/place/website too. :(
Heartland District - Saturday, 2/22, Hopedale Grade School (http://www.wotamalo.org/" target="_blank - click on Calendar)
Wotamalo District - Saturday 2/15, Hickory Grove School, Dunlap (http://dk.heartland.wdboyce.org/event/1464986" target="_blank)
gman247
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by gman247 »

Well, here's another twist in this saga..

My wife (a den leader and rep) just got an email from another scout parent, who was in contact with the district chair of the event, who said the council member jumped the gun on sending that email out and it's back to the way it was.

However, our pack leader was up at the scout store at lunch, and whoever is working up there says it's still open to all.

Jeez what a cluster*..

I've got a hunch that the district event chair is trying to put his foot down and fighting council on it. I like the guy, he's a bit of a racer :) It's a shame that it's come down to this and his first year on the job is this fiasco, but there's something to be said about trial by fire lol If he can put on a show this year, he can do it any other year, for sure.

Who knows at this point.. I'll bring my boys to the race, we'll cheer my son and his pack buddies on, and let it fall where it may. I'm sure the next council meeting will be an entertaining endeavor though!